This Chunky Bacon Potato Soup Recipe is one of my favorite comfort food dishes. I love the chunks of red potatoes mixed with the bacon, creating the perfect creamy potato soup. Top with some shredded cheddar cheese, a little bit of sour cream, a bit of green onion, and a little bit of salt and pepper and you’re about to fall in love with this easy soup recipe.
Make certain to save the bacon grease for another use. It makes amazing popcorn and is a great grease for so many other recipes. (trust me – so good!)
The really great part about this simple potato recipe is that you get to cook it in a dutch oven. It adds so much flavor and depth. Hearty soups are the best.
Chunky Bacon Potato Soup Recipe
When it comes to cooking potatoes, make certain you bring to a boil until the potatoes are tender. The potatoes need to be soft so that they’re a smooth texture. Some people use an immersion blender to really mix them up but I prefer them to have a bit of “chunk” to them.
I love how big of a pot of soup this recipe makes. Since my boys eat literally a TON, I know that I can whip up a batch of this homemade soup and have more than plenty to feed their hungry tummies.
What can I add to potato soup for flavor?
Chicken broth is a really great flavor enhancer for soup. You can also add in hot sauce, or even a bit of lemon grass for some fun tastes, too.
And cheese is also another addition that you can never overuse!
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Chunky Bacon Potato Soup Recipe are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for
Shop My Kitchen:
The following farm decor can be found on Etsy. Simply click the image that interests you – yes, they do contain affiliate links.
Must Have Resources:
When making Chunky Bacon Potato Soup at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Meal:
If you’ve been on the fence about meal planning, now is a perfect time. I love how much time I save every week when I meal plan and I think you will, too. I no longer have to dread and try to think of something to eat on the spot. When I meal plan, I plan it out and just make it when it’s time. It’s really, really simple.
Vegetable Side: Simple Carrot Salad
Starch Side: Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
Refreshing Drink: Cat in the Hat Mocktail Recipe
Don’t forget Dessert: Simple Turtle Fudge Recipe
Best Potato Recipes:
Once you make this potato soup with bacon recipe, you’re going to want more of that hearty flavor. You can easily keep up with the potato trend by whipping up some of these awesome dishes. These are some of the best potato recipes, ever.
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Potatoes are so simple and delicious!
Leftover Boiled Potatoes is a great way to extend a meal and make it taste new again.
I love the taste and flavor of these Easy Cheesy Potatoes!
Just wait until you make up this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potatoes meal!
You’re not going to find an easier recipe than these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes!
If you’ve never had Pan Fried Potatoes, you’re in for a true treat.
Sweet Potato Fries are one of the best flavors and addition to any meal.
Is potato soup better the next day?
Some people say that it is. You’ll find that this is true with some soups because all the spices and ingredients just have a little bit longer to mesh together to enhance the flavors.
More Bacon Recipes:
- 8 ounces of thick-cut bacon, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound of chunked red potatoes
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- 8 ounces of chunked cream cheese
- Put the bacon into your dutch oven (or soup pot) and put it on the stove to cook over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until it is crispy. This will take about 4 minutes or so.
- Once done, put the cooked bacon on a plate with paper towels under to drain the grease.
- You're going to drain and get rid of all the bacon grease except for 1 tablespoon.
- Add in the onion, carrots, and celery to the pot and. saute for about 4 minutes.
- Put 1/2 cup of chicken broth into the pan and make certain that you scrape off any brown bits from the bottom of the pan using a spatula.
- Put in the rest of the broth, rosemary, thyme, chicken, bay leaves, and red potatoes. Stir.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium heat.
- Cover and then let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. The potatoes should also be fork tender as well.
- Take off the heat and get rid of the bay leaves. Put in the kale and cream cheese and stir. The kale should be wilted and the cream cheese melted. This will take about 3 minutes or so. Add salt/pepper if needed.
What toppings are you going to add to your potato soup recipe?