Asparagus is one of my favorite foods this time of year, but the rest of my family can get bored if I just stick to the same asparagus recipes. This 10-minute Asparagus & Cheese Soup is a super-easy recipe to whip up on a busy weeknight while also giving incredible health benefits.
This is a filling, delicious soup to make if you just want something comforting or need an appetizer to round out a special supper. Pair it with a salad or soup for a filling lunch, or even just grab a bun or biscuit for a filling afternoon snack.
This fun twist on a classic asparagus soup uses cheese and milk to achieve an unbelievably creamy and thick texture.
Change out the thyme with your own favorite spice – sumac or a bit of lemon zest would give this soup a bright, fresh flavor while cayenne pepper and some crushed chili flakes would spice things up a bit.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 6 cups (1 carton) chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- 1½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried), optional
- 1 pound asparagus, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add leeks and cook until tender, 8 minutes. Add broth, milk, salt and thyme; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer while you prepare any other parts of the meal.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese just before serving.
What is your favourite way to enjoy asparagus?
Be sure to check out some of my other delicious soup recipes: