These 35+ Movie Night Snack Ideas are perfect for the family movie nights we try to have a couple of times a month. Each time, we choose a family-friendly film, have a fun snack, and enjoy the time together.
Its one of my most treasured “family times” we do together, even though it’s just movie, snacks and a couch.
Get your movie night started right with one of these awesome movies for kids that I pulled together to give us ideas when we’re trying to pick a movie for movie night!
Sometimes, though, I get so busy with the week that I don’t have time to think of a snack to make for the kids. And that’s why I love this list of over 30 movie night snack ideas! There are plenty of sweet and salty treats here that the whole family will enjoy on movie night!
How to Make Family Movie Night Fun (even for older kiddos)
Family movie night doesn’t have to be fun. I mean, seriously, for some of the older kiddos, it can be downright boooooooring. And I get that.
Who, at 14, really wanted to sit in a dark room with your mom and dad (ewww) and watch a movie (shudder)?! Movie watching with the ‘rents can be a real drag.
But, if mom (or dad) try reeeeeally hard, you can definitely make family night a whole lotta fun without the kiddo being any the wiser.
Over 35+ Movie Night Snack Ideas:
Here’s what I do:
- Vote on the movie (and make sure everyone gets to “win” by picking their favorite movie pretty frequently. That’s part of why we do multiple movie nights a month, to make sure everyone can pick often.
- Let the kids stay up later than usual. I know, I know, kids need a routine and they need to have their bedtime. But, seriously, y’all, there’s no reason that having a late night once a week (say on Friday or Saturday night when you’re not planning school tomorrow) can’t be part of the routine.
- Do not try to talk about anything that might be “sensitive”–not even a joke. You know kids, if you make it uncomfortable for them, they will not want to be there. So, make family night the priority and not the ribbing-of-the-kids the priority (and tell dad so he lays off the dad-jokes).
- Make their favorite movie night treats–and invite the kids to make them with you.
- You can go with simple tortilla chips, you can pick up some buttered popcorn from the movie theater, or you can make sea salt and dark chocolate potato chip ice cream. Whatever your kid wants. Heck, if your kiddo has decided they’re vegan, you can toss some nutritional yeast on your popcorn and call it vegan “cheese” popcorn. Anything to make them happy and join you on the couch, right?!
What are some fun movies for family movie nights?
Finding the right movie for a family movie night can be time-consuming but ultimately rewarding. It’s important to select a film that will engage viewers of all ages while striking an appropriate balance between entertainment and artistic merit.
To this end, there is no shortage of excellent movies that households worldwide can enjoy in equal measure.
Movies such as “Toy Story 3,” “Up,” or the classic Disney film “The Lion King” are perfect examples of family-friendly fun without compromising artistry and narrative sophistication.
Other beloved titles include the animated gems “Spirited Away” by Hayao Miyazaki or Tim Burton’s live-action delight “Big Fish.”
By taking some time to research different movies and genres, families everywhere are sure to find the perfect title for their next home cinema session.
How often should you plan a movie night at home?
Planning a movie night at home can be an enjoyable, inexpensive form of entertainment. Depending upon one’s schedule, it may be optimal to plan a movie night a few times per month.
Doing so encourages relaxation and time spent with family and is also a great way to wind down after a busy day or week.
From action-packed blockbusters to more thought-provoking independent films, deciding on which movie to watch can become part of the fun!
Taking turns letting different family members choose their favorite film makes for an even more entertaining evening.
Ultimately, it would be best to plan the frequency of movie nights based on personal preference and lifestyle— whether that’s every weekend or several times per month.
What is the best-themed idea for a movie night?
There is no shortage of thematic ideas to consider when planning a movie night. For those wanting to focus on a particular genre or decade of films, hosting a marathon screening of any classic film series such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or James Bond is sure to get the conversation going.
If your goal is to explore different genres, try putting together a selection of films with similar elements or topics, such as time travel, robots, or monsters.
Alternatively, special themes could be thrown in for good measure and have guests in themed costumes or serve food inspired by the movie you are watching.
Whatever direction one chooses to take their movie night in, with a little creativity, it can quickly become an unforgettable night.
Are weekend movie nights the best?
Weekend movie nights have become a core part of the family culture over the last few decades, and many people look forward to them, making them an incredibly appealing prospect.
Of course, they can be enjoyed by anyone of any age, as there is something for everyone.
Whether it is a classic flick that brings back fond memories or a much more modern blockbuster, movie nights are a great way to socialize and bond with other household members in a relaxed atmosphere.
Moreover, since most movies are close to two hours long and typically require no physical activity, it is a low-stress event that relieves viewers from their every day worries.
Regardless of whether you are alone or surrounded by loved ones, weekend movie nights remain one of the best ways to relax and enjoy yourself.
Snacks for Movie Night Resources:
If you’ve just run out of ideas and nothing is floating your boat to make your treats for movie night, check out these affiliate resources from Amazon that are super for putting on an awesome family night with almost NO work!
- Ultimate Family Night Gift Bundle: Popcorn, Candy, Cookies, and Loads of Goodies
- Novelty Plastic Red & White Popcorn Containers
- Sweet Treats Popcorn and Candy Gift Set
More Movie Night Ideas You’ll Love:
Movie night is an epic event here in our house. We’re super regular about it and, I’ll be honest, there’s more to movie night than just snacks–there’s also the MOVIES! So, I pulled together some ideas to help you out with that.