Why do pastel colors translate to magical goodness? I’m not sure why, but this Unicorn Muddy Buddies Recipe is magical all on its own. The pastel colors add extra flare.
This delicious treat is great for a special treat for your little one after a hard day at school, a school snack or even a party. There is so much you can do with these. Regardless of where you serve them, everyone will swoon and want to know where you bought them. Just keep it a secret that they are so easy to make!
The Unicorn Muddy Buddies would be a perfect addition to your next party. Kids would love to have them at their Unicorn birthday party. One current trend is a Unicorn Baby Shower. Could this get any more perfect for a baby shower? I mean, all you need to do is add a Unicorn cake and some accessories, your party will be set!
I don’t know if you can get any cuter than this Muddy Buddies recipe. Regardless of how you’ll serve it, you’ll be the hero and everyone will love it.
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using. I actually linked to the colored candy melts in the recipe card below.
The pearls we used are Wilton. We got them from Michael’s when they had a B1G1 sale, but you could also pick some up at Amazon.
I wish we had gotten a Unicorn Sprinkle set, but I didn’t know this was even an option until after we made this. Next time, I am using the unicorn sprinkles, for sure!
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Unicorn Muddy Buddy Recipe are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for.
Must Have Resources:
When making chex mix puppy chow at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Measuring Cups and Spoons – when baking, you need to be sure your measurements are correct!
Wax Paper – You can use parchment or wax to line a baking sheet.
Gallon Ziplocs – You can use off brand, just make sure they seal all the way. You don’t want to seal and shake and have it open! You would have coated cereal everywhere!
At the bottom of the recipe card, I linked to the exact microwave safe bowls I used for the candy melts and the exact large bowl I used for mixing the melted candy until the cereal was coated.
Make it a Party:
Main Dish: These BBQ Meatballs would be perfect for a party.
Vegetable Side: You can’t go wrong with some cut up fruit and veggies or a cheese tray.
Best Muddy Buddies Recipes:
Once you make this Unicorn Muddy Buddies Recipe, you are going to have to keep your little jar filled with a yummy snack from here on out. Here are a few options below.
While this says it is a Valentine Chex Mix, you can use any colored M & Ms 🙂
A list of a dozen Puppy Chow Chex Mix recipes
More Unicorn Recipes:
Unicorns are all the rage, and is it any wonder why? Everyone wants to be a unicorn, right? Well, we can’t be unicorns, but we can incorporate them into our weekly menus. 🙂
Ruffles and Rain Boots has an awesome recipe for a Natural Unicorn Milkshake that I am dying to try out.
Surprise the kids for breakfast with this fun Unicorn Toast recipe.
- 1/3 Cup Purple candy melts
- 1/3 Cup Blue candy melts
- 1/3 Cup Bright Pink candy melts
- 1/3 Cup Yellow candy melts
- 1/3 Cup Bright White candy melts
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (separated into 1/2 cup sets)
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Blue Powder Food dye
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Purple Powder Food dye
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Yellow Powder Food dye
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Pink Powder Food dye
- 8 Cups of Chex Rice cereal
- 2 Cups of Bugles Original Flavor
- Place 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a gallon ziplock bag and add 1/8 teaspoon of Yellow Powder Food Coloring. Mix well.
- Place 1/3 cups of Yellow candy melts in a microwave safe container. Microwave at half power for 30 seconds, remove container and stir. Repeat this process until all candies are melted. (Be sure to check it regularly, candies will burn in the mircowave)
- Add 2 cups of Chex cereal into a bowl. Once candies are melted, pour the melted candy into the bowl with the Chex cereal. Fold until all Chex cereal is coated. (This process may take a few minutes, but the melted candy will coat the Chex cereal! Take your time and continue folding and mixing.)
- Remove candy coated Chex cereal from bowl and put into gallon ziplock bag with colored powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake well. All candy-coated cereal needs to be covered.
- Line a baking tray with wax paper, pour the muddy buddies onto the tray evenly.
- Repeats steps 1 - 5 for the blue, purple, and bright pink. Match the candies to the dyed powdered sugar.
- For the White Candy Melts repeat steps, but with 2 cups of Bugles Original Flavor and no dye in the powdered sugar.
- Allow the muddy buddies to dry completely before combining. Add embellishments (colored sugar or sprinkles) if desired.
We have colored sugar and sugar pearls included in our pictured recipe.
**Store in an airtight container.
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set - These are in my kitchen! I use AT LEAST one of the bowls every single day.
Mini 3.5 Inch Glass Bowls for Kitchen Prep, Dessert, Dips, and Candy Dishes or Nut Bowls, Set of 12
Silicone Baking Utensils Set - Spatula, Pastry Brush, Whisk, Scraper, Slotted and Solid Spoon
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 127mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 19g Protein: 1g