I was getting ready for Halloween parties this year and decided to make some Candy Corn Puppy Chow. Sweet and salty Chex cereal treats, that are a favorite Halloween treat.
If you’re really just here for the muddy buddies, do I have a surprise for you! I’ve gathered all the best muddy buddy recipes that you have to try. This is seriously an easy party recipe that every one loves.
This is seriously the best halloween snack mix for a large party of kids or adults. It’s super simple to make and look at that treat–all that powdered sugar on the outside. It’s just screaming to be eaten.
Let’s get you some Chex snack mix made.
How to Make Candy Corn Snack Mix
If you’ve never made muddy buddies before, don’t be intimidated by this easy recipe, seriously. It’s simple to make–I’ll walk you through it.
Basically, you’ve got to find a way to get the candy corn (and chocolate) into the Chex cereal, right? So, what do you do? Melt!
First, you melt your yellow, orange and white chocolate chips (candy melts, they’re the same thing), then do the same with the candy corns. Some people say to stir in vanilla at that point, but I don’t bother because the flavor just get’s lost. So I don’t even bother with the whole vanilla thing. Just not worth it.
Split your Chex cereal into several large bowls and pour a chocolate mixture over each. Stir stir stir until it’s completely covered. You want all that goodness inside the Chex, if at all possible.
You then take your candy coated cereal and toss it into a zipper bag with some powdered sugar and candy sparkles.
Then you spread this out on some parchment paper until it’s cooled to room temperature and enjoy!
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Candy Corn Puppy Chow Recipe are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for
Must Have Resources:
When making Candy Corn Puppy Chow at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Party:
Main Dish: Asian Turkey Meatballs would be hilarious with black olives and some provolone cheese positioned to make them look like eyeballs.
Side Dish: RoTel with Ground Beef isn’t really a vegetable or a starch, but surely it works for a side?
Refreshing Drink: Make a big punch bowl of this Green Appletini Mocktail and your halloween party will rock!
Best Puppy Chow Recipes:
Once you make this Halloween Puppy Chow Recipe, you’ll see just how fast 16 servings can get put away by a bunch of kiddos. I plan on making a new batch as soon as I’m done typing this up. So, if you’re in for more muddy buddies, let’s get you started with some of the best recipes around!
More Candy Corn Recipes:
If you weren’t necessarily here for the whole Chex mix snack part of this recipe, but are all about the favorite halloween candy, well, have I get some treats in store for you! These are my favorite candy corn recipes you’re sure to love.
- 1/3 Cup of each candy melts: Yellow and White
- 1/3 Cup of Candy Corn
- 1/4 Cup of powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Yellow and Orange Sugar Sparkles
- 8 Cups of Chex cereal
- Place 1/3 cups of Yellow candy melts in a microwave safe container. Microwave at half power for 30 seconds, remove container and stir. Repeat this process until all candies are melted. (Be sure to check it regularly, candies will burn in the microwave).
- Repeat for Candy Corn.
- Add 2 cups of Chex cereal into a bowl. Once candies are melted, pour the melted candy into the bowl with the Chex cereal. Fold until all Chex cereal is coated. (This process may take a few minutes, but the melted candy will coat the Chex cereal).
- Place 1/4 cup of powdered sugar in a gallon ziplock bag and add 1 tablespoon of Yellow sugar sparkles. Mix well.
5. Remove candy coated Chex cereal from bowl and put into gallon ziplock bag with powdered sugar and Yellow sugar sparkles. Seal the bag and shake well. All candy-coated cereal needs to be covered.
- Line a baking tray with wax paper, pour the muddy buddies onto the tray evenly.
- Repeat steps 1-5 with Orange Candy Melts.
- Repeat steps 1-5 for the white EXCEPT, leave out step 5. You do not want Yellow or Orange sugar on the white pieces!
- Allow the muddy buddies to dry completely before combining. Add embellishments (Candy Corn pieces) if desired.
- **Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 99 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 114mg Carbohydrates: 24g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g