Meatloaf is one of those classic supper standbys that can be really easy to get wrong. I’ve committed to bringing you a collection of Scrumptious Meatloaf Recipes and first up is this delicious and moist Apple Meatloaf Recipe.
Using apple along with onions and garlic, you get a delicious yet subtle sweet-savoury contrast. Dijon mustard always works beautifully with apple, but it is completely optional.
The Ritz crackers is also a favorite little twist for me, they are just a little bit more flavorful with that rich buttery flavor compared to dry, often flavorless breadcrumbs or saltine crumbs.
The moisture of the apple helps make this apple meatloaf recipe incredibly juicy so you can completely skip using gravy for this recipe – making it a great choice if you’re trying to reduce fat in your diet.
Also, rather than cutting into the meatloaf to check to see if it’s cooked through, I highly recommend investing in a meat thermometer as cutting into the meatloaf can dry it out and is not as accurate a measurement as a temperature reading.
- 12-20 Ritz Crackers
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or chopped, optional
- 1½ pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard, optional
- Place the butter in a frying pan or skillet over medium heat to melt. Add the chopped garlic, onions, and apple and saute until the the onions are translucent.
- Meanwhile, place the Ritz Crackers in a food processor and grate until they resemble crumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Cool the apple mixture a little bit before adding to the food processor and combining.
- Dump the apple-cracker mixture into a large bowl and mix in the ground beed. Add the egg and optional Dijon mustard.
- Season to your preference with the salt and pepper before pressing into a lined loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through.
I hope you give this amazing Apple Meatloaf Recipe a try – and why not add some of these other delicious supper recipes to your weekly meal plan:
Paprika Skillet Chicken – a one pan meal with unbelievable flavor
Apple Cider Pork Roast – a great Sunday supper idea