This is one big pot chili! It freezes well, though so make it up and freeze half for later. 🙂 Instant meal in a week or two. I LOVE meals like that. ~Kelli
Mexican Chicken Chili
Serves 10 – Prep 30 minutes – Cook 1 hour 45 minutes
- 6 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer or 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1. Combine the chicken and enough water to cover in a large, heavy pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes. Drain the chicken, reserving the cooking liquid. Cool the chicken, remove and discard the bones, and coarsely shred the meat.
2. Meanwhile, place the same pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, cocoa powder, oregano, and coriander and cook until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, beer, salt, and 3 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a simmer; reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
3. Add the beans. Simmer, uncovered, until the chili thickens, about 30 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and simmer until heated through.
Per serving (1 1/2 cups): 239 Cal, 6 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 44 mg Chol, 488 mg Sod, 26 g Carb, 8 g Fib, 22 g Prot, 103 mg Calc.
DISCLAIMER: Reprinted from the book Weight Watchers Eat! Move! Play! With permission from John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Technorati Tags: RECIPE, Watchers, Mexican, Chicken, Chili, Instant, meal, LOVE, Kelli, Prep, Cook, sugar, ounce, bottle, beer, cups, broth, Combine, Reduce, Drain, Cool, bones, meat, Stir, Simmer, Trans, Chol, Carb, Prot, Calc, DISCLAIMER, Move, Play, permission, John, Wiley, Sons, meals, Ingredients, hour, tablespoons, onions, garlic, cumin, cocoa, oregano, coriander, tomatoes, beans