This Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls Recipe will give you soft and gooey cinnamon rolls that taste SO good. Be sure to check out my 30+ Breakfast Recipes for even more yummy ideas!
Made with mini chocolate chips, the traditional cinnamon flavor, and a delicious cream cheese icing, this would be the ultimate treat brunch recipe or your whole family to enjoy.
This recipe is perfect for weekend brunch! With every bite of these chocolate chip cinnamon rolls, you get that gooey and soft texture that tastes like heaven. You can’t deny that chocolate for breakfast or brunch will always be a winner.
Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls
While there is an element of waiting in this recipe, purely so that dough can be as soft as a pillow, they really are simple to make. I can’t emphasize enough that these are worth the effort and are perfect for a weekend treat.
Time is spent bringing the dough ingredients together. It might require a little muscle when it comes to kneading the dough, but once you let it rest and rise, you are left with something that you know is going to taste incredible.
The filling is simple to put together. Cinnamon and chocolate will always be a winning combination, especially during the fall. The cream cheese icing that you will sprinkle on top is the perfect way to finish these delicious cinnamon rolls off.
My boys love these Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls so much that I can guarantee it is their number one request for breakfast at the weekend. Dad likes them, too, and it always feels like a bit of a treat.
Why do I need to give the dough time to rise?
When baking bread, it is important to give the dough time to rise. This allows the yeast to work and produces a lighter, more airy bread.
If the dough is not given enough time to rise, the bread will be dense and heavy. In addition, the flavor of the bread will be affected; under-risen bread can taste sour and yeasty.
Therefore, it is essential to follow the recipe and allow the dough to rise for the specified amount of time.
By taking this simple step, you can ensure that your bread turns out perfectly every time.
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for
Shop My Kitchen:
The following items can be found in my kitchen here at Miller Manor. Simply click the image that interests you – yes, they do contain affiliate links.
When making Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Meal:
If you’ve been on the fence about meal planning, now is the time to start! You’ll find that once you get going, you’ll love how it helps you alleviate that stress. Plan out your meals quickly daily! Trust me – you’ll love it!
Main Dish: Veggie Stir Fry
Vegetable Side: Asparagus on the George Foreman Grill
Starch Side: Pan Fried Potatoes
Refreshing Drink: Pumpkin Punch
Best Roll Recipes:
Once you make this Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls Recipe, everyone in the family will be craving more warm rolls! I totally get that – I’m addicted to them as well! Below you’ll find some of my other favorite roll recipes that are perfect for any time of the day.
Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls are one of my favorite breakfast recipes!
These Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls are great for fall breakfasts.
Make this Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake for a wonderful flavored dessert!
Apple Butter Crescent Rolls are a truly delicious bread recipe that you’ll love!
Check out these Campfire Cinnamon Roll-Ups! So much fun to make!
I love the flavor of this Cinnamon Banana Bread Cake Mix recipe.
Add this Pumpkin Bread Recipe to your fall baking radar!
How do I know if Instant Yeast is still good?
There are several ways to tell if your Instant Yeast is still good. One way is to look at the color of the yeast. If it is a dark brown or black color, it is most likely no longer good.
Another way to tell if Instant Yeast is still good is to smell it. If it has a sour smell, it isn’t good.
Finally, you can test the yeast by mixing it with warm water. If the yeast does not foam or bubble, it is probably no longer good.
If you are unsure whether or not your Instant Yeast is still good, it is best to err on the side of caution and buy new yeast.
How should I store the Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls?
The cinnamon rolls are best served warm right after you iced them. It is the best way to enjoy them! If you have extras, store the cinnamon rolls in an air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator. They will store in this way for up to a week.
If you want to heat them, you can put them in the microwave for 20 seconds. Don’t heat them too much, or the rolls will get hard.
You can also put the rolls out at room temperature and let them soften and warm that way.
How do I soften hard cinnamon rolls?
Cinnamon rolls are a delicious breakfast pastry, but they can sometimes be quite hard. There are a few different ways to soften hard cinnamon rolls. One is to place them in a microwave-safe dish and heat them on high for 30-60 seconds.
Another is to wrap them in a damp paper towel and place them in a warm oven for a few minutes.
Alternatively, you could place them in a tightly sealed container with a slice of bread; the bread will help to absorb any moisture and keep the cinnamon rolls from drying out.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to check the cinnamon rolls frequently so that they do not become overcooked.
More Cinnamon Recipes:
- Copycat HelloFresh Smokey Cinnamon Paprika Spice Blend
- Homemade Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Apple and Cinnamon Puppy Chow
- Instant Pot Cinnamon Swirl Cheesecake
- 1⁄2 cup of water
- 1⁄3 cup of bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup of milk
- 1⁄4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup of milk
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- 2 2⁄3 cup of bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup of milk (warm) reserve 1⁄4 cup for brushing tops
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp of salted butter
- 1⁄2 cup of butter (softened)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 cup o mini chocolate chips (can use milk or dark chocolate chips)
- 8 oz of cream cheese (softened)
- 4 oz of butter (softened)
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste (can use vanilla extract)
- 1 1⁄2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup of cocoa powder
1. Place the 1⁄2 cup of water and 1⁄3 cup of bread flour in a saucepan.
2. Whisk the mixture until smooth, then add the 1⁄2 cup o milk and whisk again until smooth.
3. Continue to whisk and heat over medium heat until the mixture forms a slurry-like consistency. Remove from heat, pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic to touch the slurry so the mixture will not form a skin. Let cool to room temperature.
1. Place 1 tsp of the 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the 1⁄2 cup of warm milk and stir to combine. Sprinkle yeast across the top of the mixture and stir gently to combine. Let the mixture sit until it becomes frothy and bubbly (about 15 min.)
2. After the mixture is frothy, add in the remainder of the sugar, 1⁄4 cup of warm milk, starter, bread flour, egg, and salt.
3. Either by hand or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, mix until the dough is combined and raggedy looking.
4. With a dough hook, knead the dough for about 5 minutes on low speed. Divide the four tbsp. of butter into four parts and mix in one part at a time, combining for approximately 20 seconds after each addition. Then knead on medium speed for about 6 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. The dough should come together. Form the dough into a ball by hand and place it in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease the top of the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow rising in a warm place for about 11⁄2 hours until doubled.
5. After the dough has doubled, punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to an 8×20 inch rectangle. Spread the filling across the top and top it with the chocolate chips.
6. Starting at one long end, roll up the dough tightly, pulling back on the dough as you roll to keep the roll tight. Once rolled, seal the long edge seam by pinching the dough together with your fingers. Cut a small amount off at each end to make it even. Cut the roll into 10 equal pieces. They will probably still be about 2 inches each because the dough will stretch a bit during rolling.
7. Place slices into a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Cover with plastic
wrap and allow to rise warmly for about 11⁄2 hours until doubled. After doubling, brush the rolls with 1⁄4 cup of reserved milk. This helps to brown tops.
8. Preheat oven to 350°.
9.. Bake rolls on the center rack of your preheated oven for approx. 30 min until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool in pan on a wire rack until slightly warm. Using a writing tip and piping bag, ice across the top of the rolls. You can spread the icing by hand if you choose or thin the icing by adding a little milk and spoon across the tops of the rolls.
1. Mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
1. Whip together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa and whip until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 699Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 3gSugar: 51gProtein: 9g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 11/29/2022
When will you enjoy these Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls?