These Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls are going to blow your mind! They are so delicious, so decadent, so opulent. Plus, they are the perfect treat for Valentine’ Day.
Since these red velvet cinnamon rolls start with a box of red velvet cake mix, you can save time and avoid messing up measurements. Woot! You know that I am a huge fan of easy cake mix recipes and I was excited to add this to my repertoire.
That’s right! Starting our base from a boxed cake mix hack means we don’t have to mess with any food coloring or cocoa powder. You are so very welcome! What busy mom has the time to make red velvet from scratch these days,? Much less red velvet, brown sugar and cinnamon rolls!? Not this Momma, that’s for sure.
Anyway, we have even included instructions for making your own cream cheese frosting. Personally, I would be happy just making up a batch of the cream cheese icing and eating that. LOL! Don’t tell my kids.
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Red Velvet Boxed Cake Mix – You can use any brand you want. We just happened to have Duncan Hines on hand, so that is what we used.
All Purpose Flour – This recipe calls for 5 cups, but make sure to pay attention as you will only be adding 4.5 cup to the recipe. The remaining half cup flour will be for your lightly floured surface.
Rapid Rise Yeast – Brand really doesn’t matter as long as you get rapid rise other wise you may be waiting forever for your cinnamon rolls to double in size.
Brown Sugar – I prefer light, but you can choose your preference.
Granulated Sugar – Don’t be fooled by the fancy name, this is simply regular white sugar.
Powdered Sugar – We keep confectioner’s sugar at our house – any brand is just fine.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for.
Must Have Resources:
Now that you know how to make Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Large Bowl – This set is my favorite set on Amazon, by far! I use at least one of my bowls every single day. You will actually need a small bowl for the icing. This set includes both.
Baking Pan – I like this one because it comes with a cooling rack.
Cake Tester – I love my cake tester. Instead of throw away toothpicks, just use this inserted in the center of your cupcake to see if it is done.
Mixer: I included the link to the one I have because I am in love with it. A stand mixer makes it easier to get all the ingredients well mixed.
Make it a Meal:
I am going to give you a special treat meal idea for Valentine’ Day since these red velvet breakfast rolls scream Valentine’s Day Brunch to me!
Main Dish: Bacon and Eggs – you can never go wrong with either.
Vegetable Side: Make sure to include some fried potato cubes as filler.
Refreshing Drink: Coffee is your best bet here. However, if your special person doesn’t like coffee, go with an indulgent hot chocolate.
Best Cinnamon Roll Recipes:
Special breakfasts are not just for special occasions! You can make cinnamon rolls anytime and once you make them, the kids are going to want them more and mroe foten. Consider this fari warning. LOL! Here are some other, super delicious, cinnamon rolls for you to try.
Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls – the recipe that started it all. LOL! I kid. But, if you want just plain cinnamon rolls, go to that recipe.
One Minute Cinnamon Roll in a Mug
More Red Velvet Recipes:
Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 cups Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages rapid rise yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz (1/2 brick) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 9x13 jelly pan and set aside
- To a large mixing bowl, add: 4 cups of flour, cake mix, and salt. Sprinkle the yeast on top and add the warm water (should be 105 to 110 degrees). Mix well
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour on top of the dough and knead in the bowl for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle remaining flour on your work space, dump the dough onto it. Knead the dough on your work space for a addition 6-7 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into the shape of an 8 x 16 rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter over the dough and sprinkle with the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon.
- Starting with the long end, roll the dough into a log and pinch the ends to seal tightly.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the dough into 8 even slices and place each on the greased pan.
- Drape a kitchen towel over the rolls and place in a warm, dry place for 15 minutes to allow the yeast to rise.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes. While cooling, you can make up the icing.
- Add the softened cream cheese and butter to a large mixing bowl.
- With an electric mixer, mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar.
- Generously apply the cream cheese icing to the warm cinnamon rolls.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 857Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 602mgCarbohydrates: 129gFiber: 4gSugar: 61gProtein: 11g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 5/26/2019