Tastes like heaven in a bowl! Southern comfort food, any time of the year!
Thinking of when I was growing up, the smells, the taste… reminds me of home.
- 6-7 medium russet potatoes – peeled and cubed
- 1 can/box (32 oz.) chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 sour cream (16 oz)
- 2-3 cups instant mashed potatoes (for thickening)
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- Green onions/scallions (optional)
- In a large stock pot, bring water and chicken broth to a boil. Add salt, celery salt and potatoes. Cook approximately 35 minutes or until potatoes become tender. Turn to low.
- Add milk. Take some of the hot liquid from the stock pot and put in a separate bowl. Add sour cream a little at a time with a wisk. *If you add too quickly into the large pot, the sour cream will curdle. Save a little sour cream to put on top of your soup
- Add liquid/sour cream back into the pot. Add instant potato flakes to pot ‘slowly’ (so it does not clump) with a large spoon and stir lightly as not to mash the potato chunks. For thicker soup, add 3 cups. If you want your soup thin, add less.
- Serve. Garnish with shredded cheese, green onions/scallions and a dollop of sour cream (optional but oh so delicious).