Nothing says fall quite like breaking out the crockpot! As the weather gets colder, it’s only natural to serve warm and comforting dinners to your family and this apple and pork chops in crockpot recipe is one everyone will love!
The taste of pork goes wonderfully with apples and putting it all in the crockpot takes the work out of cooking it up. Plus, you can serve it directly from the crockpot to your hungry brood!
Since this recipe only needs about five hours in the slow cooker, you don’t have to get up super early just to start cooking it. You can put it on around lunchtime and it’ll be ready just in time to hit the dinner table! Remember to leave the lid on your crockpot as the food cooks to avoid losing heat.
- 6 or 7 pork chops (bone in or out)
- 3 red delicious apples, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 onion, julienned
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 2 teaspoons of salt, divided (or as desired)
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, divided (or as desired)
- 2 teaspoons of ground sage, divided
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 32 oz of unsalted chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons oil
- In a large bowl season pork chops with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of sage and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add two tablespoons of oil to a pan over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add pork chops (3-4 at a time) to pan. Brown pork chops, 3-4 minutes per side, flipping only once. Meanwhile, layer the slices of two apples to the bottom of the crock pot. Once pork chops are browned, layer pork chops over apple slices.
- Once pork chops are removed, lower heat to low/medium. With the reserved juice of the pork chops and one tablespoon of additional oil, add in the onions and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Layer cooked onions over the pork chops in crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to crockpot, cover and cook on low 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
This recipe would be absolutely wonderful served over cooked rice, hot buttered noodles, or even mashed potatoes! In fact, if you add a simple salad or some easy grilled vegetables, you’ll have a complete meal!
More Delicious Pork Recipes:
If you love this recipe, try these other delicious pork recipes for family dinner!
Kelli recommends the following affiliate products to help you create this delicious dinner recipe.