The recipe on the back of a box of Cake Mix is lackluster. You don’t have to follow box cake mix recipes exactly, you know… you can take a box of cake mix and make it into several different desserts or just a more fun cake. Keep reading to find 5 ways to make cake mix better AND a super simple, easy to follow recipe. Plus, I have a list of several other boxed cake mix recipes that are sure to impress your guests!
1. More Fat in Your Box Cake Mix:
If you want a better box cake mix you need to substitute butter for the oil and double the amount your recipe calls for. If you are on a diet, use applesauce instead of the extra oil or butter. It won’t be as flavorful, but it will help it stay moist.
2. Make it Eggcellent:
Add an extra egg or two to make your cake mix recipe extra rich and fluffy – like in the Best Cupcake Recipe EVER from Crystal and Company!
3. Water Strike:
4. Be Adventurous:
Throw stuff in there! Here are a few ideas. Try adding one or more to your box cake mix!
Extra vanilla, strawberry, or almond flavoring.
2 tablespoons of peanut butter or nutella.
Your favorite candy bars – like this Reese’s Cupcake Recipe
Chopped fresh fruit!
I like to make Poke Cake and fill the holes with Jello or pudding.
5. Make Cake Mix Cookies:
You can make any cake mix into cookies! Think of the possibilities; double chocolate chip, chocolate peppermint, rocky road. Can you tell I like chocolate? Just follow this simple recipe:
- 15.25oz box cake mix
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon milk
- ½ cup mix-ins like chocolate chips (optional)
- frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Stir cake mix, eggs, oil and milk until combined. Stir in mix-ins.
- Make 1inch balls with spoons or a cookie scoop and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet or parchment. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing. Frost immediately if you are using frosting or making sandwich cookies.
Try one or more of these alterations to your cake mix recipe and never eat a nasty, dry, flavorless boxed cake again!
Kelli’s Boxed Cake Mix Recipes:
More Ways to Use Box Cake Mix:
- Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book: More Than 375 Delectable Cookie Recipes That Begin with a Box of Cake Mix
- Cake Mix Cookies: More Than 175 Delectable Cookie Recipes That Begin With a Box of Cake Mix
- The Cake Mix Doctor – create 150 desserts using a box of cake mix!