Just in case we aren’t already acquainted, you should know that I love mini dessert recipes, and by far my favorite type of mini desserts are cupcakes! While I’ve tried my hand at a few Oreo Cupcake Recipes, this Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcake Recipe is a family favorite!
Aren’t they so pretty?
I love those soft frills of mint-flavored buttercream, with a Mint Oreo nestled in, giving a little hint as to the cupcake’s flavor.
The secret to an amazing, yet not overpowering, mint-flavored buttercream is to not have mint be the only flavor in the recipe. I opted to add equal parts mint and vanilla, but you could alternatively do equal parts mint and chocolate flavor, mint and butter flavor, or even mint and lemon flavor – whichever appeals most to you.
Another secret to these cupcakes is that I used a conventional box cupcake mix but I baked them 25 degrees higher than the box called for, which is how I get those domed tops on my cupcakes.
But wait, it gets better…
Yup, baked right in at the bottom is a hidden Oreo Mint Cookie, giving a slight crunch and an extra hit of mint chocolate flavor to this Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes Recipe.
- 1 box cupcake mix, prepared according to box directions
- 24 Mint Chocolate Oreos
- 1 teaspoon mint extract, optional
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons milk or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake liners.
- Prepare the chocolate cupcake mix as directed, adding an optional teaspoon of mint extract, if desired.
- Place one Oreo at the bottom of each cupcake liner and top with ⅓ cup cupcake batter. You do not want your batter to be more than a half inch below the top of the cupcake liner.
- Bake for the suggested amount of time, and then cool on a baking rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream frosting by beating the butter and sugar together until fluffy and pale.
- Add the whipping cream until you reach your desired consistency, and then flavor with the vanilla and mint extracts. Top with just a pinch of salt for contrast.
- Fit a piping bag with a frosting tip - I went with a 406 to get those soft ruffles.
- Spoon the frosting into the piping bag and tie off.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool, start frosting the cupcakes by making swirls outward from the center of each cupcakes; when you reach the edge of the cupcake, swirl inward and upward.
- Top each cupcake with one Mint Oreo cookie, or a few Mint Oreo cookie crumbs, for garnish.
Be sure to check out some of my other cupcake recipes: