I have been searching the web for a good Valentine Chex Mix recipe, but everything sounded like it was just too sweet. So, after a little inspiration from Betty Crocker, I came up with my own version that is still sweet, but has some nice salty flavors to go with the sugar!
The peanuts and peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets add just enough salty goodness to keep this from being too sweet and the boys LOVE it!
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup powdered confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup Valentine colored milk chocolate M & M s
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets
- 4.5 oz salted party peanuts
- 1 Tablespoon silver jimmies sprinkles
- 1 Tablespoon red & white heart sprinkles
Place cereal, pretzels, and 1/2 the peanuts into a large bowl.
In a small microwaveable bowl, heat vanilla chips, peanut butter, and margarine uncovered on high for about 45 seconds. Stir well to remove all lumps. Pour mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
Place 1/2 the cereal mixture in a 1-gallon Ziploc. Add powdered sugar, seal, and shake until the mixture is well coated. Spread on waxed paper and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
Stir M&Ms and remaining peanuts into remaining cereal mixture. Spread onto waxed paper and allow to cool about 20 minutes.
In serving bowl, mix both cereal mixtures and store in an airtight container.
Be sure to check out this post of 24 Kids Activities because it has lots of fun Valentine’s Day Recipes!
One last yummy looking picture! 🙂 I am seriously loving my camera and every day I think I am learning just a tad bit more about it!
I get my peanut butter filled pretzels at Walmart on the far left end (facing the aisle) of the potato chip aisle.