It can be so hard to find a kid-friendly vegetable recipe at the best of times, let alone kid-friendly asparagus recipes! Well, not only is this recipe kid-friendly, it also has a wow factor that will impress guests, and is super easy to make.
This recipe makes uses of pre-made butterpuff pastry, which even some of the best chefs use because making it from scratch just isn’t worth the time or effort — so don’t feel like you’re cheating! Just make sure to buy one that is all-butter for the best flavour.
If you want to use less butterpuff pastry, you can always cut the strips smaller, or serve a mixture of steamed asparagus and asparagus spirals.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 sheet prepared butterpuff pastry
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- Salt and pepper optional
Snap off the woody part of the asparagus by holding the very bottom and center of each piece of asparagus and bending it. The asparagus will naturally snap where the woody part ends.
Roll out your butterpuff pastry sheet and cut into 1/2 inch strips -- as many as you have stalks of asparagus.
Take each stalk of asparagus, and pinch a strip of butterpuff pastry to the end. Roll the asparagus stalk slowly at a slight angle so that the pastry wraps around the asparagus to make spirals like in the above pictures. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Season the asparagus spirals however you'd prefer -- I like Parmesan, salt, and pepper, but most seasonings would work well, and this recipe would even taste great with no added seasonings.
Bake on a greased or lined baking sheet according to the package directions, or if not indicated, 375F, until pastry is slightly golden. Serve hot or cold.
More Resources for Asparagus Recipes:
Here are some more delicious Asparagus Recipes for your “green tooth” cravings!
- Asparagus Recipes That Melt In Your Mouthnofollow
- From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce, 3rd Editionnofollow
- Asparagus Recipes: A Collection Of Asparagus Recipes That Showcase The Versatility Of This Spring Vegetable. (Quick & Easy Recipes)nofollow
- Asparagus Recipes: The Ultimate Guide – Over 30 Healthy & Delicious Recipesnofollow