Nothing is cuter at Easter time than these adorable bunny cupcakes. Kids and adults will be delighted and charmed when you bring this treat to your next gathering. They look like basic cupcakes, but the addition of lemon extract and grated lemon peel in the batter add a spring-like flavor boost that pairs really well with the toasted coconut. They’re still easy and simple enough to make, with just a little more pizazz than regular vanilla cupcakes.
Of course, if you’re not a lemon fan, just leave it out. Prefer orange flavor? Use some orange extract instead. These cupcakes look complicated to make, but I promise they’re not. I had the whole batch done from start to finish in less than an hour – and that included baking time.
You can add some additional cuteness with these adorable printable bunny cupcake toppers! Print them out, cut them out, and then use a popsicle stick to put the toppers on the cupcakes.
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 2½ cups flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tub pre-prepared vanilla frosting, any brand
- 5-10 drops of green food coloring
- Shredded Coconut, toasted in an 200 degree oven for 5 minutes (watch carefully!)
- Bunny "Peeps" Candy
- Cream the sugar and butter together until light and frothy, then add in eggs.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk in alternating batches (about ½ cup of each at a time).
- Add the vanilla and lemon.
- Bake in a greased cupcake tin for 20 minutes at 375. I prefer to use paper baking cups in the tin because they'll come out more easily.
- Let cool.
- Mix frosting in a small bowl with the green food coloring until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with the tinted green frosting.
- Before the frosting dries, sprinkle the toasted coconut on top to make a "bed" for the bunny.
- Stick a toothpick through the bottom of the bunny, leaving about ½" sticking out of the bottom. Use this to stick the bunny so it will stay on it's bed in the cupcake.