Louisiana is easily one of the most unique states in the U.S. It has a culture, geography, and history that is all its own. And that makes it a great state to study with kids! When you’re ready to work on a unit study about the Bayou State, be sure to add these easy Louisiana crafts for kids!
Much of Louisiana’s rich heritage comes from its history as a French territory. Even though the state was included in the Louisiana Purchase during the early 1800s, it still retains much of its French culture. For example, Louisiana doesn’t have counties. It has parishes. In addition, many of the state’s major cities have kept their original French names, such as New Orleans and Baton Rouge.
For more about the cultural history of Louisiana, be sure to pick up these beautiful Mardi Gras books for kids to read with your family!
Louisiana Crafts for Kids:
1. Louisiana’s state bird is the brown pelican and this easy Pelican Paper Plate Craft is a great upcycled craft to make with preschoolers!
2. Did you know that the state song of Louisiana is “You Are My Sunshine”? Sing the song with the kids and then make this easy Coffee Filter Sun Craft!
3. The state reptile of Louisiana is the alligator. Alligators live all over the area in the native wetlands. This cute DIY Alligator Puppet is such a sweet craft!
4. The annual celebration of Mardi Gras is an important aspect of the local culture in New Orleans. Let the kids get in on the fun with this Printable Mardi Gras Mask you can color!
5. Despite its low-lying geography, Louisiana is home to many black bears – the state mammal. This cute Fork Painting Bear Craft is a fun way to add a bear activity to this unit!
6. As the state’s nickname shows, Louisiana features many swamps, or bayous. Put this fun Bubbling Swamp Small World together and let the kids play the day away!
7. Along the southern border of Louisiana lies the Gulf of Mexico with miles of sandy beaches. The kids will love making this Handprint Hermit Crab Craft!
8. New Orleans is often spoken of as the birthplace of jazz, since so many famous jazz musicians made their marks in the area. This Sparkly Trumpet Craft is an adorable way to introduce jazz to your preschoolers!
Can you think of any more fun Louisiana crafts for kids to make? Share your ideas in the comments!