New Orleans has a distinctive charm that’s all its own. Since the city was established back when Louisiana was still a French colony, it has retained a lot of its French heritage. In addition, New Orleans is home to one of America’s most enduring musical styles: jazz. That makes it a unique place to visit on a family vacation!
The city is home to plenty of cultural hotspots, attractions, and natural sights that you and the kids will enjoy. If you’re planning a trip to this Southern city, be sure to check out these 10 things to do with kids in New Orleans! Look at these great ideas with these Kid Friendly Things to do in the United States.
And while you’re exploring the Big Easy, check out these Mardi Gras books for kids to read!
We spent several days in NOLA visiting and experiencing the places listed below. This trip was completely compensated by the CVB and several businesses. However, any stated opinions are strictly my own!
New Orleans: 10 Things to Do With Kids!
1. The French Quarter is the oldest part of New Orleans and the city’s most popular attraction. In this area are restaurants, street performers, and shops that showcase the heritage of the Big Easy. Plus, it’s free to visit!
2. At the Aquarium of the Americas, you’ll get to meet all kinds of marine species, including clownfish, seahorses, turtles, and even stingrays! Plus, there are exhibits where you can touch sea life or let parakeets land on your shoulder!
3. Be sure to check out the Louisiana Children’s Museum, especially if you need a place where the kids can burn off some energy! There are hands-on exhibits where children can climb rock walls, explore simple machines, create their own artwork, and listen to stories.
4. What kid doesn’t love visiting the zoo? The Audubon Zoo houses animals from all over the globe in natural exhibits where children can get to learn more about these amazing creatures!
5. Carousel Gardens is a traditional amusement park that all of the kids will enjoy. There are carnival rides for little ones, including the Umbrella Cars and the Carousel, while older teens can get a thrill on the Ladybug Roller Coaster and the Musik Express.
6. City Park is the most popular open space in New Orleans. If you want a free natural attraction for the kids to explore, take them to City Park to play a round of miniature golf, visit the botanical garden, or ride on the train!
7. The Louisiana State Museum is a complex of several historical buildings and sites in New Orleans, including Capitol Park Museum, the 1850 House, and The Cabildo – a historical museum housed in a traditional Spanish building. You’ll enjoy spending the day exploring all of the sites with the kids!
8. Lake Pontchartrain is the largest body of natural water in New Orleans and it’s home to some of the city’s most scenic views. Take a ride on a paddleboat or a canoe with the kids so they can enjoy a relaxing afternoon on the lake!
9. While the Mardi Gras festival might be a little too adult for kids, they can still get a look at the supersized parade floats at Mardi Gras World! This facility houses the floats for the parades and shows workers assembling floats for the next year’s celebration!
10. At New Orleans Museum of Art, there are plenty of amazing artworks for kids to see. And, if the children want to get involved, they can make their own art during the hands-on workshops for kids!
Did I miss any of your favorite things to do with kids in New Orleans? Share some of your best New Orleans family attractions in the comments!