This list of Mardi Gras Books for Kids will help you teach your children about the significance of Mardi Gras. Why we have it, where it came from, and where it all began.
Although, New Orleans in the most famous for celebrating Mardi Gras – Mobile is actually the birth place (within the United States) and is a much more family friendly place to bring your kids to the parades. 🙂
Mardi Gras Books for Kids
From stories to facts to coloring – these books will help you teach your kids everything there is to know about Mardi Gras in the Dirty South!
1. In this volume the Deep South’s favourite flying alligator travels to New Orleans to get a close-up look at the excitement and pageantry that characterise Mardi Gras. En route, Gaston drops in on Courir de Mardi Gras and fasi-do-do in rural South Louisiana. Then in New Orleans, he looks on as krewes build the beautiful floats for their lavish parades
2. Mimi and her parents enjoy the color and excitement of Mardi Gras in New Orleans and observe many traditional aspects of the celebration.
3. Come along on this colorful and educational ride through the Mardi Gras traditions of New Orleans! In addition to reinforcing the letters of the alphabet, Mardi Gras ABCs will keep your child entertained with vivid illustrations and clever rhymes. It’s a book that will add to any child’s library and will be one you come back to time and time again.
4. Jazz bands play upbeat music throughout the city. People in wild costumes and bright makeup hand out beads and trinkets to everyone who wants one.
The colors purple, green, and gold are everywhere — what do they mean? You find a small, plastic trinket inside your pastry and are instantly crowned “King for a Day.”
What is going on?
You are in the middle of Mardi Gras, a lively celebration that takes place each March around the world, most famously in New Orleans.
This easy-to-read book for ages 6 to 10 will reveal the fascinating history and traditions of this famous celebration. It includes a BONUS Mardi Gras Video and a fun Mardi Gras Quiz to reinforce what you and your children have learned.
5. This is the story of a loveable dog named Kelsey and her adventures in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Enjoy this book with your children as Kelsey embarks on one of her most colorful adventures with Grandpa Scott. You’ll join in on her adventures of meeting new people, watching the floats, wearing beads and enjoying good food in the exciting southern city. Follow this loveable little dog through another one of her adventures with her owner, Grandpa Scott, by her side. This book will not only explain some details about Mardi Gras but will also Inspire your children with its colorful pictures, delightful story and comprehension questions at the end of the book.
6. When Timmy receives an invitation to his friend Adam’s king cake party, he doesn’t quite understand what it means. Timmy and his family have just moved to New Orleans, and he’s mystified by the tradition Adam describes, especially the plastic baby baked inside the cake.
Timmy’s wonder grows as Adam tells him about the purple, green, and gold icing and the hole in the center of the cake. His anticipation heightens when he finds out that Adam’s sister has invited girls to the party!
7. Introduces Mardi Gras and the Carnival festival, including the history of the holiday and how it is celebrated throughout the world.
I hope you and your kids have fun learning about Mardi Gras!
More Mardi Gras Resources:
Fun Mardi Gras Activities and Crafts for Kids