It is a mac and cheese revolution! While we all love macaroni and cheese, it can be fun to mix things up with the secret ingredient in this dish! Although it is good all by itself, the macaroni and cheese recipe below goes super great with busy day BBQ meatballs and BBQ pork ribs and pretty much anything bar-be-qued. LOL!
You can print the recipe or save it to your recipe box 🙂
- 2 cups dried pasta
- 2½ cups milk (Use skim if you want to cut back on fat)
- 1 cup loosely packed cheddar cheese, shredded by hand
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard (optional or can substitute nutmeg instead) (start with a little and add more to taste)
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pour pasta and milk into a small saucepan. Bring it to simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cook the pasta at this temperature for 20 to 25 minutes or until pasta is soft. Stir the mixture often and be sure the milk does not boil.
- Remove the macaroni from the heat and add the cheese. Season with salt to taste and stir it to combine. Stir in the remaining spices a little at a time, to taste. Cover the pan and let the mixture stand for a couple of minutes. Remove the lid and stir again. If is not creamy enough, you can add milk a little at a time, and gently stir.
- It is not necessary, but you may bake the macaroni and cheese it at this point. Pour it into a baking dish and sprinkle a generous portion of cheese on top. Bake the macaroni and cheese at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Here is a look at the macaroni and cheese in the dish – yum, right?