This Ultimate Grilled Macaroni and Cheese Sandwich will avoid the oven and satisfy your family’s down-home mac & cheese cravings! Perfect for a simple sandwich!
This is our go-to recipe when we’re running low on time. It’s fast, simple, and perfect for anyone who loves to eat and enjoy mac and cheese!
When the kids said they wanted to combine two of their favorites – sandwiches and macaroni & cheese, I was so hyped to make it happen!
The result is an epic recipe that everyone loves!
Ultimate Grilled Macaroni and Cheese Sandwich
While you can easily add other toppings and sauce to this recipe, there isn’t any need. I can promise you that the flavor of this is delicious, and the fun of eating it is a must.
We’ve been cooking this dish for years, and I don’t see any signs of slowing down. It’s hearty, comforting, and delicious – the perfect trio!
I love that you can whip this up as a fast and simple weeknight dinner when you don’t know what else to cook. It’s just that simple to do!
How many flavors of mac and cheese are there?
Macaroni and cheese is an iconic American dish that has brought joy to many households nationwide. While most people might think that mac and cheese only comes in one flavor, that couldn’t be farther from the truth!
In fact, there are countless variations of this cheesy pasta dish that can satisfy just about any taste preference.
From classic cheddar to more adventurous flavors like truffle and lobster, mac and cheese has come a long way since its humble beginnings.
So the next time you’re craving some comfort food, don’t be afraid to branch out and try a new flavor of mac and cheese!
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Mac and Cheese Sandwich Recipe are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for
Shop My Kitchen:
The following items can be found in my kitchen here at Miller Manor. Simply click the image that interests you – yes, they do contain affiliate links.
Must Have Resources:
When making a Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Meal:
If you’re on the fence about meal planning, now is the time to start! It’s the best way to stress less about food – and plan out all the meals.
Vegetable Side: Copycat Chick-fil-A Coleslaw Recipe
Starch Side: Oven Steak Fries Recipe
Refreshing Drink: Cotton Candy Mocktail Recipe
Don’t forget Dessert: Warm Caramel Apple Cake Recipe
Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipes:
Once you make this Mac and Cheese Sandwich Recipe, you must make more yummy flavors of this classic dish. It’s too good to pass up!
This Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Revolution will be a hit for your tastebuds!
Check out these Macaroni Salad Recipes for the perfect side dish options.
Creamy Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese for the win!
We always cook this Mac and Cheese in the Crockpot when the weather turns cold.
I love to make a big batch of this Beef Macaroni and Cheese recipe!
I love how this Easy Macaroni Salad Recipe tastes!
Pizza Mac and Cheese is a fun and unique twist!
How is a panini maker different?
If you are looking to expand your kitchen arsenal, you may be wondering about the differences between a regular grill and a panini maker. The answer is quite clear: a panini maker is specifically designed to press sandwiches and has ridges that add texture and crunch to the bread.
This allows you to create the perfect grilled sandwich every time, complete with melted cheese, warm meat, and your favorite veggies.
Plus, many modern panini makers are so versatile that they can also be used as griddles for cooking eggs, bacon, and pancakes.
So if you love a good sandwich and want to take your cooking skills up a notch, a panini maker is the way to go!
More Bread Recipes:
- 40+ Bread Machine Recipes
- Perfectly Sweetened Blueberry Orange Bread Recipe
- 60 + Money Saving Bread Recipes & Bread Machine Tips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 4 cups warm prepared macaroni and cheese
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 12 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Make macaroni and cheese according to the recipe or box. Spread it into an 8-inch-square baking dish around 3/4 inch thick.
- Wrap the dish with plastic wrap and place it into the refrigerator to chill until firm. This will take about 45 minutes.
- After the macaroni and cheese are firm, remove it from the refrigerator and cut it into squares that are smaller than the slices of bread being used, and then set it aside.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions, stirring them until they are caramelized. This wiill take about 20 minutes. If desired, season the onions with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a panini grill to medium heat while preparing the sandwiches. Melt the remaining butter and brush a little on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the butter side down on the panini grill, followed by a slice of cheese, one macaroni and cheese square and then another slice of cheese.
- Place the second piece of buttered bread to complete the sandwich, buttered side up.
- Cook the sandwich until the cheese begins to melt and the bread turns a golden brown. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Then, build each additional sandwich until all four are complete.
- As an alternative, you may also add barbecue pork, beef or chicken to the sandwich before grilling it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1126Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 1955mgCarbohydrates: 120gFiber: 6gSugar: 17gProtein: 41g
What side dish recipe will you make to pair with this Mac & Cheese recipe?