If you need a beautiful baby shower centerpiece for a unicorn baby shower, this unicorn themed diaper cake is literally the best DIY unicorn baby shower diaper cake! Easy, fast, and super pretty, you’re definitely going to love it.
Oh, and whether this is the first baby shower or your fiftieth that you’re hosting, check out these awesome tips for how to host a baby shower that will make your unicorn shower sparkle!
Disclosure: I work with Cricut as a Brand Ambassador. This post also contains affiliate links.
But back to this adorable unicorn tower of butt-covers. This is seriously easy to make and I think you’ll be surprised at how fast it comes together.
And I do this with absolutely no tricks, crazy kits that you only use one time–and a ton of diapers ready for use when that new baby wees.
Let’s get to making.
Diaper Cake Inspiration
I know it must seem like I’m the last person to say this, but it’s the truth: sometimes I don’t like to make stuff. I mean, whether it’s because I have too much going on or I just don’t have the energy to expend, and that’s ok. So, if you’re in that phase of planning for your unicorn shower, I’m listening.
And so, to help you out, here’s a few unicorn diaper cakes that you can just order and have delivered. Less stress sometimes is so worth it.
- Just-Add-Unicorn-Horn Pink and Gold Diaper Cake
- Unicorn-Shaped Diaper Cake
- Hot Air Balloon Diaper Cake
- Pouffy Tutu Diaper Cake (again, just add unicorn horn)
Necessary Materials to Make a Unicorn Diaper Cake:
Even though this looks like some kind of black magic, making a diaper cake is actually a ton more simple than it looks. Before I made my first one, I thought it would be a while big thing that took hours but it turns out you can have one ready to go in about 20 minutes. To make a basic diaper cake, you just need four things:
- Diapers (obviously)
- 12-inch Cake Plate
- Rubber Bands
- Cake Pans
- You might also want some receiving blankets, but they’re not required.
And then comes it’s time to grab the fun stuff! I wanted my unicorn diaper cake to be all pinks and blues, matching the unicorn I designed. So I grabbed a couple of things that I felt would really pull that pink and blue in:
- Baby Skirt and Unicorn Hat (I put the hat on top to give my cake a unicorn horn and the skirt I used between the first and second layer of diapers to add some pop)
- Paper Roses (I found mine at the craft store for $1 for a set of 2)
You’ll want some extra baby shower gifts, little toys and other fun stuffs to decorate your DIY diaper cake:
- Unicorn Paci Stuffie (such a lifesaver for babies who love the paci)
- Adorable Unicorn Bling Shoes
- Unicorn Hooded Baby Towel
- Adorable Matching Big Sis/Little Sis Unicorn Shirt and Onesie Set
- Unicorn Burp Cloths
- Magic Lamp
- Unicorn Paci Holder
- Unicorn Milestone Blanket
- Personalized Unicorn Lovey
- Unicorn Bath Toy
- Unicorn Baby Hat
Fun Unicorn Baby Shower Decorations:
At the end of the day, I love a big themed party. And I love love love it when every piece is totally on-theme and matchy-matchy. So, when I designed this little unicorn diaper cake, I just had to carry that over the line and be super extra by making invites, decorations and even more.
You can find each of the coordinated unicorn shower items for this diaper cake below:
- Printable Unicorn Shower Invitations (adorable way to start the unicorn-fun)
- Unicorn Themed Shower Decoration Pieces (the mini-banner, big banner, cupcake toppers, bow centerpiece and table scatter)
- Unicorn Baby Shower Games (no diaper raffle tickets, but some good ones)
Tips and Tricks to Make a Unicorn Diaper Cake:
I know that, for a first-timer, putting together a diaper cake can seem like climbing a mountain. So, to help you tackle this hike, I’ve come up with some tricks to make your first try your best and last one.
- Leftover diapers? Don’t panic! You can make a fourth tier for your diaper cake or you can just toss them in a gift bag to hand to the mom-to-be when she’s packing all the gifts into her car.
- If the sides of your unicorn diaper centerpiece are a bit lumpy for your tastes, you have a couple of options. You can either add rubber bands to tighten everything up. Or, grab some ribbon and wrap it snugly around the center to hide the lumps (that’s exactly what I did and I love how it added a bit of color).
- Add some loose tulle to the bottom to hide your cake plate and it gives it this wildly cool look like the diaper cake is floating on a glittery cloud!
How Many Diapers Do You Need to Make a Diaper Cake?
Before you’ve made a diaper cake it’s kind of hard to know exactly how many diapers you’re going to need. But, since I’ve made a couple now, I know that with a pretty standard set of diapers I can make a pretty nice cake–with a few diapers left over, just in case. Here’s what I grabbed:
- 1 Small Package Newborn Size Diapers – about 20
- 1 Large Package Size 1 Diapers – about 75
More Unicorn Baby Shower Ideas
- Unicorn Baby Shower Treats & Eats
- All the Best Unicorn Baby Shower Ideas
- Turn your Shower into a Sprinkle
Unicorn Baby Shower Food Ideas:
- Unicorn Baby Shower Food Ideas – If you are having a unicorn baby shower, you need all of these fun themed foods.
- Pink non-alcoholic drink recipes – Over 20 recipes for pink colored, non-alcoholic drinks for your party.
- Pink Desserts – these 22+ pink colored desserts are sure to help you in your baby shower food planning!
Unicorn Baby Shower Diaper Cake
I love this easy unicorn baby shower diaper cake turned out to be. So pretty and fun--and the baby shower centerpiece is DONE!
- 1 Small Package Newborn Size Diapers (about 20)
- 1 Medium Package Size 1 Diapers (about 75)
- Graduated Cake Pans (size 6, 8 and 9 1/2)
- 12-inch Cake Board/Plate
- 12-24 Large Rubber Bands
- 1 Receiving Blanket
- 1 Baby Blanket
- 1 Unicorn Horn Topper (I used a horn from a baby photography set)
- 1 Cardboard Tube (paper towel roll), optional
- 2 Baby Socks, optional
- 3 Baby Onesies, optional
- Paper Roses
- Tutu (I used a tutu from a baby photography set)
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
- Tape, optional
- Remove the diapers from their packaging.
- Stack the newborn sized diapers 3-4 at a time, fanning them out horizontally and forming a spiral, fit inside the smallest cake pan.
- Fill the cake pan with the diapers completely, then wrap a rubber band around them, securing them in the shape of the pan.
- Remove the cake pan and set aside the roll of diapers.
- Repeat creating a roll of diapers using the size 1 diapers in both the second largest and largest cake pans.
- Place the largest diaper roll on top of the cake board/plate. Optional: tape this in place--however, be aware that this could damage the diapers.
- Wrap the baby blanket around the largest diaper roll, folding the blanket to only be as wide as the diapers are tall.
- Wrap a rubber band around the baby blanket, securing it in place around the diaper roll.
- Fan the tutu out on top of the largest diaper roll, spreading it out neatly.
- Place the second largest diaper roll on top of the tutu.
- Wrap the receiving blanket around the second largest diaper roll, folding the blanket to only be as wide as the diapers are tall.
- Place the smallest diaper roll on top of the second largest.
- Wrap the receiving blanket around the smallest diaper roll, folding the blanket to only be as wide as the diapers are tall.
- Wrap a rubber band around the receiving blanket, securing it in place around the diaper roll.
- To hide the rubber bands, wrap a ribbon around the diaper rolls, hot gluing or taping them in place. To avoid damaging a diaper, hot glue only ribbon-to-ribbon.
- Add horn topper.
- Hot glue paper roses onto the ribbons, stacking them carefully so as not to get the hot glue on the blankets or diapers.
- Decorate as desired. I added a onesie hanging off the top tier, some baby gear and a couple of sock/onesie cupcakes. To make the sock/onesie cupcakes, just fold the onesies in half, then roll them up, with an inside-out sock in the middle. Then, when the onesie is rolled tightly, fold the sock up around the onesie to secure it in place.
Thursday 11th of June 2020
Thank you for your useful information.