Are you looking for the perfect sweet and salty snack mix for Christmas? If yes, then this Christmas puppy chow will surely give you the taste you desire. I love making red and green snack recipes this time of year. The colorful display of red and green helps remind me that the Christmas season is here and it’s time to feel cheerful!
This red and white snack is full of sweetness! You’ll surely enjoy whipping this treat up with the kids any time of year, but more specifically during the Chrsitmas season. The tasty chocolate and frosting mixed together will surely satisfy any sweet craving you have.
As you can see this sweet and salty snack mix for Christmas will surely add some color to your table. Whether you’re looking to use these for a holiday treat during family gatherings or want to surprise the kids with a special holiday-themed treat, this colorful treat will be devoured quickly.
This delightful treat works well as a special holiday treat for your family. Y’all can make your Christmas puppy chow for a quick snack idea or prepare it to serve during a holiday gathering. No matter what you’re going to use this red and green snack for, I am confident you’ll enjoy every bite!
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
- Red Frosting
- Green Frosting
- White candy melts or white chocolate chips, divided
- Chex cereal
- Powdered icing sugar
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Christmas Puppy Chow are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for.
Is it called puppy chow or muddy buddies?
This homemade red and green snack is typically referred to as many names. Puppy chow can also be called monkey munch, reindeer chow, muddy buddies, or muddy munch. What you call this sweet and salty snack mix for Christmas will depend on where y’all were raised or what the final appearance of this homemade snack resembles.
How long is Puppy Chow good for?
I’m sure y’all are wondering how long you can store this Christmas puppy chow. While I can say this red and green snack won’t last long, you can store your puppy chow to eat later. The best way to store your delicious snack mix is in an airtight container or bag in your refrigerator for up to one week.
Must Have Resources:
When making Christmas Puppy Chow at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Meal:
Main Dish: Apple and Pork Chops in Crockpot
Vegetable Side: Simple Carrot Salad
Starch Side: Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Refreshing Drink: Cranberry Kiss Mocktail
Best Snack Recipes:
Once you make this Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe, the kids are going to love it so much that they’re going to want more red and green snack ideas. Don’t fret! I have found some of the best homemade Christmas muddy buddies recipe ideas for you to try this holiday season.
More Puppy Chow Recipes:
- Unicorn Muddy Buddies
- Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow
- Candy Corn Puppy Chow
- A Dozen Puppy Chow Chex Mix Recipes
- 1/2 cup red frosting
- 1/2 cup green frosting
- 1/2 cup white candy melts or white chocolate chips, divided
- 1 Tablespoons shortening, if needed
- 4 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup powdered icing sugar
- Grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the red frosting and 1/4 cup white chocolate chips (or white candy melts) in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 35 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed. If it seems stiff, add some shortening to loosen it up.
- Stir in 2 cups of the Chex cereal and coat completely.
- Place 1/2 cup of the powdered icing sugar in a large zip-top bag and add in the candy-coated cereal.
- Close the bag and shake well to fully coat the cereal with sugar.
- Empty the cereal onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the white candy melts and green frosting.
- Let dry for an hour before packaging or serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 744Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 394mgCarbohydrates: 140gFiber: 2gSugar: 102gProtein: 4g