I wanted to come up with super easy adorable unicorn cupcakes that I could make super quick for a unicorn baby shower. I had a lot of options, but they were all so hard! Making this unicorn cupcake that looks like a stuffed unicorn toy on top of the cupcake though?! Perfect.
And if you’re looking for more than just a cupcake to take your baby sprinkle to the next level, check out these great unicorn baby shower tips and ideas. Your shower will be on point. Get it? Ha!
Back to this adorable unicorn cupcake, though. It’s like a baby’s toy just perched there on top of the cupcake–and it’s made of marshmallow fondant, which is the BEST kind of cupcake topping on the planet.
I know, I know, but it’s a unicorn cupcake. How can I not gush?!
Adorable Unicorn Cupcakes
So, how do we make these fun unicorn cupcakes for a baby shower or even a magical unicorn birthday party? Easy.
You’re going to start with a typical cupcake recipe. I like using a cake mix. It just makes life easier–and that’s the name of the game when you’re making cupcakes for a big group.
Just divide the batter into your muffin pan, baking in blue, pink or white cupcake liners. Then let them cool and frost.
From there, you can buy marshmallow fondant, but if you have a microwave, some powdered sugar and some mini marshmallows, you can make your own in about 10 minutes flat. You don’t even need your standing mixer for this.
Once you’ve got your fondant made, it’s just rolling out the fondant like clay to make your unicorn creations!
How Do You Make the Unicorn Horn for these Unicorn Cupcakes?
Ok. Let’s be honest, making the unicorn stuffie sitting atop the cupcake is maybe not something you want to do. But, you could scale it down to just make unicorn horns, right?
Right. You totally could.
And there’s a couple of things you can do to accomplish this.
- Make marshmallow fondant and then just make a bunch of horns. If they’re big and you want them to stand, you can even put a toothpick inside them, but then you need to warn the guests not to bite down into them.
- Buy some unicorn sprinkles. They have them online in the fancy sprinkle mixes and they’re awesome.
- Make a cardstock cutout of a unicorn horn and put it on a toothpick to put in the center of your cupcake.
So, even if you don’t want to make the full unicorn, you can still have a fun unicorn cupcake that will be loved by kids and adults alike.
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Unicorn Cupcake Recipe are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for.
Shop My Kitchen:
The following items can be found in my kitchen here at Miller Manor. Simply click the image that interests you – yes, they do contain affiliate links.
Must Have Resources:
When making Unicorn Cupcakes at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
- Piping Bag fitted with a star tip or anything, really
- Cupcake Tin
Make it a Meal:
Look, I get it, planning a party is super hard. You have so much going on. But, if you’re anything like me, you cannot just let it happen. Organic party planning is NOT my thing.
So, here’s my proposed plan to help you make this unicorn baby shower or birthday party a real blast (at least as far as food is concerned).
Main: Creamy Buffalo Wings
Vegetable: Fig Stuffed Gargonzola Bites
Starch: Triscuit Cracked Pepper Cheesecake Stacks
Refreshing Drink: Cotton Candy Mocktail
Best Unicorn Recipes:
Once you make these unicorn baby shower cupcakes, you’re going to definitely want more unicorn food to add to your party. Here are some of my favorite unicorn treats you’ll love.
This easy unicorn dip is so fast to make and so super tasty, the kids are going to love this one.
Unicorn popcorn is the treat that the kids are going to beg you to make for their birthday every year.
I love these tasty unicorn poop meringues–they’re so pillowy but crisp at the same time, it’s like magic.
I’m definitely making these awesome rainbow OREO cookies for my next unicorn party.
These unicorn rice krispies look so fabulously tasty, I need to make some just for me. Right? Right.
Too much yummy happening with this unicorn bark recipe. I mean, if you’re going to make chocolate bark, you should make it unicorn-esque.
One of my favorite recipes, this unicorn ice cream is so fast to make but is seriously the most tasty treat for a hot, sticky day.
Baby Shower Food Ideas:
Unicorn Baby Shower Food Ideas – If you are having a unicorn baby shower, you need all of these fun themed foods.
Pink non-alcoholic drink recipes – Over 20 recipes for pink colored, non-alcoholic drinks for your party.
Pink Desserts – these 22+ pink colored desserts are sure to help you in your baby shower food planning!
How to Make Unicorn Cupcakes
I want to be really clear about these easy unicorn cupcakes. They're adorable and fun--and you can make them fast!
- 1 box White Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup Butter Softened
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Water
- White Icing
- 6 cups White Marshmallow Fondant
- 1 cup Pink Marshmallow Fondant
- 1 cup Blue Marshmallow Fondant
- 1 cup Purple Marshmallow Fondant
- 1 cup Orange Marshmallow Fondant
- Black Get Food Coloring
- Red Gel Food Coloring
- Blue Gel Food Coloring
- Start by mixing your cake mix, butter, eggs, and water with a hand mixer on high until well blended.
- Pour mixture into cupcake tins, and bake according to box instructions.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Separate your icing into two equal portions.
- Color one portion of icing pink with the red gel food coloring and the other blue.
- Fill one side of your piping bag with pink icing and the other side with blue icing and place large star tip on the end.
- Frost each of the cupcakes in a single layer moving form outside to inside the cupcake. Set the cupcakes aside while you make the unicorns.
- To make the unicorn heads, break off 12 small end-of-thumb sized pieces of white fondant and roll each of them into balls. Press and roll one end to a more narrow section, about half the size of the other end. Repeat until you have 12 heads. Set the heads aside.
- To make the unicorn bodies, break off a piece of white fondant about the size of 3 thumb-ends and roll them into balls, then flatten the center. Repeat until you have 12 bodies. Set the bodies aside.
- To make the legs, break off a piece of white fondant about the size of 1/2 thumb-ends and roll them into balls, then flatten the center. Repeat until you have 48 legs.
- Press the 2 legs on each side of each body.
- Press one head on one end of each body.
- To make the hooves, pinch off 48 small 1/8 end-of-thumb sized balls of orange fondant and roll them into balls, then flatten two sides. Repeat with all 48 hooves. Press a hoof on the end of each leg.
- With a toothpick, dip it in the black gel food coloring and then draw the eyelid/eyelashes onto each unicorn face.
- With a second toothpick, poke two nostrils on the end of each unicorn face for a nose.
- Pinch off a tiny piece of orange fondant and roll it into a slight cone shape with a rounded shape. Use a toothpick rolled across the surface of the horn horizontally to make the textured lines on the horn. Repeat to make 12 unicorn horns. Press a unicorn horn into the center of each unicorn head.
- Pinch off a tiny portion of pink, blue or purple fondant and roll it out into a long, very thin snake. Gently lay this snake onto the unicorn's head right at the base of the horn. Repeat with as many of the colored snakes as desired.
- Pinch off a small portion of pink, blue or purple fondant and roll it out into a long, thin snake. Gently lay this snake onto the unicorn's rump between the back legs to make a tail. Repeat with as many of the colored snakes as desired.
- Place a unicorn on top of each cupcake and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 0gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
More Unicorn Resources:
From recipes to education, we have rounded up a few of our favorites!
Fun Unicorn Ideas for Kids:
Unicorn Color Matching Worksheets