I am absolutely hooked on rice crispy treats. My newest obsession is creating new rice crispy flavor varieties. They are yummy, totally easy, and quick to whip up a big batch. (And, as a mom to five kids, I also appreciate that they are not messy!)
This past weekend, I experimented with a few new tastes, and of course I had to try a peanut butter and chocolate variation. I love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, and they worked perfectly with the crispy rice cereal bars.
This recipe can be easily modified – want a stronger peanut butter flavor? Add a Tablespoon or two more peanut butter. Like a gooier rice crispy treat (is gooier even a word)? Add a few more marshmallows. Crave more chocolate? Melt a little more chocolate (no one would ever complain of more chocolate, would they?).
Ready for a delightful treat? Get out your saucepan and cereal…and enjoy!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 32 regular marshmallows (or 3 cups mini marshmallows)
- 2-4 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 4 oz melting chocolate
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add marshmallows and melt, stirring frequently.
- When the marshmallow/butter mixture is fully melted, remove the pan from the heat and peanut butter. Stir until combined.
- Pour rice cereal into the pan and stir gently until completely covered.
- Press rice crispy treats into a lightly buttered 9x13 baking dish and press firmly into pan (I like to use a sheet of wax paper to press the treats down so my hands don’t get too sticky).
- Melt chocolate (I melted my chocolate in the microwave) and pour over rice crispy treats in pan. Let cool for at least 30 minutes and cut into bars.
- Store rice crispy treats in a covered container. If you have any left-overs….
Want more? Try my birthday cake rice crispy treats, cinnamon roll rice crispy treats (NOT to be missed!), or my newest St. Patrick’s Day mint chocolate rice crispy treats.
About Lolli: A stay-at-home mom turned full-time writer, Laura (aka Lolli) is a mother of five in the Washington D.C. area. Lolli’s daily life consists of a little bit of everything: kids, food, photography, travel, books, music…and very little sleep. When she isn’t blogging at Better in Bulk, she’s probably away from the computer cooking up her next meal or planning her next post. You can connect with Lolli on twitter at @1momof5 and on Facebook at facebook.com/betterinbulk