Every once in a while, I just throw what I have together and hope that it works out well. We made this last night (yes, even though it wasn’t on the menu) and the boys loved it. I didn’t even have enough leftovers for lunch for today! I have actually made some variation of this before and have always called it “I don’t know”, but last night we decided to come up with a real name for it. So, we now have “End of the Month” Casserole because at the end of the month, before the paycheck comes in, pantries and freezers are starting to get bare. But, we pretty much ALWAYS have these necessary ingredients for this stuff. LOL!
This is a true recipe, you will see when you get to the bottom. LOL! I just shake and add, no real measurements here! oops! I think I drove my husband insane because the whole time I was shaking and measuring and such, I had him writing it down. Poor dear.
- 1 pound make ahead hamburger meat (or 1 pound of hamburger and 1 muffin of seasoning blend)
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) Cream of Mushroom
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic
- Dash of Kitchen Bouquet
- Approx. 3 Slices of Bacon – cooked and crumbled
- Approx 6 large potatoes.
- 3 Cups of Shredded Mozzarella, divided
- Dash or Two of Worchestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- To prepared hamburger meat, add: cream of mushroom, beef broth, kitchen bouquet, salt & pepper, garlic, and bacon. Bring to a boil and allow it to simmer while doing step #3.
- Peel and slice potatoes. Cover with water in large pot. Bring to boil and continue at good rolling boil for about 7 minutes.
- Layer ½ the potatoes, ½ the meat mixture, and ½ of the cheese (in that order) in a small dutch oven. I like to spray it with Pam first.
- Repeat layers!
- Cover with lid and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven, remove the lid, and allow it to sit (to thicken some of the juices) about 10 minutes.
We had ours with Grands Honey Butter Biscuits. Had I not been in a hurry, this would have been really good with a salad before hand.