I loved making Grinch Hot Cocoa Bombs for the kids this week. Such a quick recipe and the resulting cocoa is pretty tasty too!
If you love this easy Grinch hot cocoa bomb recipe, be sure to check out all the best Merry Grinchmas ideas I pulled together to make the most of a grumpy green grouch.
So fun and silly, these easy Grinch Hot Cocoa Bombs are all about that Grinchmas charm!
Grinch Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
Taking just a few minutes to melt chocolate melts in the microwave, adding it to a mold, then filling with hot chocolate mix and decorating with a piping bag is just about the easiest way to jazz-up a movie night.
But before you grab your white chocolate and try to color it green, wait just one minute and get this recipe right.
Because once you have your hot cocoa bombs, youre not going to want to slow it down before you pour a cup of hot milk over it and enojy!
My Favorite Hot Cocoa Bomb Tricks
Ok. Despite all those super easy TikTok videos, making hot cooca bombs arent as easy as they might look. Its more than just spreading the chocolate up the sides of the mold, tossing hot cocoa mix inside your chocolate balls and enjoying. There are some tricks to making them successful.
First and foremost, plan your Grinch hot cocoa bombs for Christmas with the hot cocoa in mind. Dont add anything thats going to take away from the flavor of the drink, because thats the whole point.
Second, dont put anything liquid in the filling, unless youre fine with your mini marshmallows melting. Even a dribble of alcohol will have those marshmallows dissolving completely.
Finally, have fun. Even if your Grinch Themed DIY hot cocoa bombs dont turn out, dont get upset. Its just chocolate. Try again and have fun!
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Grinch Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for.
Shop My Kitchen:
The following items can be found in my kitchen here at Miller Manor. Simply click the image that interests you - yes, they do contain affiliate links.
Must Have Resources:
When making Grinch Hot Cocoa Bombs at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Meal:
I know sometimes its difficult to plan out a meal, particularly if its based around a holiday or small gathering. So, because Im all about planning that meal (even having a 52 week meal plan, no kidding), Ive got an idea for your evening:
Main Dish: Broccoli Cheese Soup
Vegetable Side: Slow Cooker 7-Layer Dip
Starch Side: Loaded Baked Steak Fries
Dont forget Dessert: Grinch Bark
Best Grinch Recipes:
Once you make this Grinch Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe, youll realize just how FAST these things go. The kids are going to love them! So, to keep them filled-up on Grinch recipes, Ive got all the best, most tasty options for you:
Check out this easy and fun recipe for Grinch hot cocoa - no bomb required!
Making a Grinch treat can be as easy as making simple Grinch heart cookies in the slice-and-bake style!
These easy Grinch cake balls make a fun and tasty dessert to add to a Grinch Charcuterie board.
Grinch festivities dont have to be stuck in the dessert category, though. You can make Grinch cinnamon rolls for breakfast!
I love everything Grinch, but these Grinch pretzels are definitely a fantastic salty snack to go with your hot cocoa.
Sometimes, the best snack is a yummy twist on an old classic like this easy Grinch popcorn!
Do you have to use special chocolate to make Grinch Themed DIY Hot Cocoa Bombs?
No. You can use regular chocolate to make hot cocoa bombs. But I highly recommend using candy melts. I know that might seem a little contradictory to the no. But you CAN make hot cocoa bombs with regular chocolate - its just that candy melts work BETTER.
So, if you have to use regular chocolate (chocolate chips or baking chocolate or even a chocolate bar), you can. Its just going to be more temperamental and prone to cracking and breaking then candy melts are going to be.
And regular chocolate is going to be a bit more slow to melt when youre ready to pour one cup of hot milk over the bomb. So, candy melts are the way to go.
One thing: do read the directions on the package of whatever chocolate you choose to use. I learned the hard way that different chocolates require different melting temperatures.
More Hot Chocolate Recipes:
- 2 cups Dark Green Candy Melts
- 1/4 cup Red Candy melts
- 2 cups Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 2 cups Crushed Peppermints
- Place dark green candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Place 1 tbsp melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even. Repeat with 12 bomb mold halves.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently tap the sides of the mold, pressing on one side of the chocolate to make the chocolate slide out of the mold.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 1 tbsp hot chocolate mix, 1 tbsp crushed peppermint, and 6-8 mini marshmallows.
- Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bombs.
- Place the red candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Using a piping bag or a fork, drizzle the red chocolate candy melts in a big swirl on top of the assembled hot cocoa bombs then immediately follow by sprinkling with additional crushed peppermints.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until youre ready to use.
- To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1280Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 827mgCarbohydrates: 296gFiber: 6gSugar: 209gProtein: 10g
If youre loving this fun holiday recipe, be sure to pin it to your favorite Christmas treats board on Pinterest so you can find it again quick when youre ready!