I love making party games and this one–DIY Pin the Heart on the Grinch Game? It’s so easy, it’s fantastic, and kind of sneaky. Just look at that face, that’s definitely a sneaky face if I’ve ever seen one.
Seriously going on my list of the best Grinch crafts I’ve ever made. And I’ll be making a lot this year. This is one of my favorite Grinchmas Ideas!
Disclosure: I work with Cricut as a Brand Ambassador. This post also contains affiliate links.
If you’re making a lot of Grinch things this year, be sure to check out these 20+ Grinch crafts for kids to find the best options for your Grinchmas.
But back to this adorable Grinch game and how simple it is to make using the pin the heart on the Grinch template. I think I spent a whole 10 minutes cutting, weeding and applying the HTV to my Grinch.
Yeah–that’s it, just about 10 minutes and then we were ready to pin our Grinch’s heart onto his long, tall body.
The trick is to cut this Grinch game SVG from felt so that the heart sticks to the Grinch without an actual pin. Because who wants to use an actual pin in a Christmas minute-to-win-it game with kids?! Not me–where I play, kids don’t need sharp pointy pins when they’ve got a mask on their face.
So, having this pin-free pin-the-tail game available is a little big genius and I’m kind of glad I came up with it.
So, if you’re ready to make a Grinch game for kids, grab your green felt and let’s get making!
To make this awesome Grinch craft, you can use just about anything, but I used a few things I had on hand. Here’s what I used:
Although you can use this Grinch SVG on any cutting machine, I have a Cricut and I’ve been using it a lot lately. So, you can use whatever, but if you’d like to see exactly what I’m using here’s what’s in my craft room:
Tips and Tricks:
Not telling you how to craft–I’m sure you’ve got your own thing, but, since I did make this Grinch game, I do have a few tips about making it go as smoothly as possible.
- When you’re cutting the felt, if you’re using the Cricut Maker, you can just put the felt on the fabric grip mat and off you go. But if you’re using the Explore Air 2, don’t forget to bond the felt before trying to cut it.
- Layering the eyes can be done two ways without making a vinyl-mess. First, you can layer them onto the same transfer paper and press them in one go. Your second option is to press the first layer down, then allow it to cool completely before doing the second layer so you don’t overheat the first layer of vinyl and make it all bubbly.
How Do You Play Pin the Heart on the Grinch Game?
- First, put the Grinch on the wall–You can use a pushpin or command strip. I wouldn’t go with a nail, but if that’s all you have, work with it.
- Blindfold your player, then spin them around a couple of times, so they can’t really tell where they are–but not so much that they are going to throw up or anything.
- Point the player in the general direction of the Grinch and put the heart in their hand, then give them a little nudge.
- Cheer your player on and let them “win” a small gift of some sort if they get the heart on the Grinch!
More Grinch Crafts:
- 25+ Recipes for a Grinch Party
- Grinchy Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies
- Furry Grinch Gnome
- DIY Grinch Farmhouse Beads
- 8 Fun Grinch Head SVGs
- Free Grinch Ornament Cut File
- White Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Green Faux Fur
- Red Ornament
- Red Velvet
- White Lambswool
- 5 Lengths of Floral Wire
- Paper Roll
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
- Cricut EasyPress Mini
- Cricut Explore Air 2 or Cricut Maker
- Pencil or Pen
- Exacto Knife
- Wire Cutters
- Download the SVG File, then upload it to Cricut Design Space.
- Insert the image onto the next screen, then select the image and choose "attach". This will keep the lettering together and make it easier to place. Then size the lettering to fit your ornament.
- Select "make it", then select "mirror it" then choose "continue".
- Identify "heat transfer vinyl" as the material, place the vinyl face-down on the mat, then cut it, using the fine point blade.
- When the cut is complete, weed the design.
- Carefully place the vinyl elements onto the ornament and, using the Easy Press Mini, press them in place.
- To make the Grinch hand, trace the outline of your hand shape onto the fabric backing of the green faux fur with the pencil.
- Using the exacto knife, cut the fabric only on the faux fur along the traced hand shape then pull the fabric apart, without cutting the fur.
- Place a length of fabric wire along each finger coming together in the palm and reaching past the wrist. Hot glue these in place along each finger and the palm, rolling the fabric portion of each finger and palm over the wire, making each skinny finger and the palm closed. Set aside.
- Cut the paper roll down to about 7 inches long.
- Cut the velvet to the same width of the paper roll, and 1 1/4 times longer than the length needed to wrap all the way around the paper roll.
- Hot glue one end of the velvet along the midline of the paper roll, then wrap the paper roll with the velvet. When you reach the end of the velvet, fold over the end, hot gluing it into a hem. Roll the remaining length of velvet over and hot glue the new hem in place along the side of the paper roll.
- Cut the white lambswool faux fur to 3-inches wide by the length needed to wrap all the way around the paper roll. Wrap this white lambswool faux fur around the end of the paper roll and hot glue it in place.
- Thread the floral wires and the wrist portion of the faux fur hand into the end of the paper roll, hot glueing it in place so that the hand and arm appear to be a single unit.
- Bend the thumb and first of the fingers around to pinch and hold the top of the ornament, hot gluing the ornament in place.
- Bend the remaining fingers upward to make an "ok" symbol.
- Thread the open end of the paper roll onto your Christmas tree and enjoy!
Isn’t that a fun and easy Grinch game idea for kids?! I just love that I can make this pin the heart on the Grinch game with the Cricut and have it done so super quick. If you love this project, be sure to pin it to your favorite holiday crafts board on Pinterest so you can find it fast when it’s time to pull out the Grinch games!