Busy moms know that you need to simplify.
From 5 ingredients crockpot recipes to following healthy meal plans, you can still eat well without spending all of your time in the kitchen – and that’s exactly what these 5 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies allow you to do!
After making 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies and 2-ingredient brownies and being pleasantly surprised with the tasty results, I knew there had to be away to simplify a chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Reducing the number of ingredients makes it quicker to whip up a batch of these (without relying on a boxed mix), makes it easier to involve the kids in the kitchen, and reduces the likelihood that you’ll be missing an ingredient.
There’s a bit of salt in this recipe, but I also like to add a sprinkle of sea salt on top of a few of the 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookies (the ones intended for the grown-ups). It takes these chocolate chip cookies from good to mouth-watering.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
The sunflower butter provides a hidden health boost, as sunflower butter helps repair the body from damage and builds up the skin’s natural barriers to sun damage. One tablespoon provides 1/4 of your daily recommended intake for Vitamin E, and provides essential fats that can be missed when children aren’t able to eat nut butters at school (or have allergies).
The sunflower butter’s flavour is not strong, giving a faint nuttiness to the cookies. These don’t taste like your average chocolate chip cookie, but my kids gobbled them up just the same.
- ¾ cup sunflower butter (or 1 cup nut butter)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips, as desired
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon good quality salt, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- Optional: cinnamon
- Whip the sunflower butter, salt and sugar until light and fully mixed. It will not appear as fluffy as whipped butter and sugar, but it should look a bit airy.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and then stir in your preferred amount of chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl loosely and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Portion out tablespoon mounds of cookie dough onto a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cookies are golden brown and set. They will be shiny, so don't mistake that for being undercooked.
- Remove from oven, let rest for one minute on the cookie sheet, before transferring to a cooling rack.
Make sure to pin these 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookies for later – especially for a night when you are low on time or ingredients!