Turn chicken into restaurant-quality gourmet fare in absolutely no time! You can’t get much quicker than these Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts drizzled with a luscious hollandaise sauce and sprinkled with toasted almonds. I don’t know about you, but I am always on the hunt for some yummy asparagus recipes to help me get more veggies into my boys’ diets!
Trust me, it is much better than it appears. I just love the lemony color – it is so perfect for Spring!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Flatten the chicken breasts to ¼ inch thick by pounding with a meat mallet or covering with plastic wrap and hitting it with a heavy pan.
- Spread the mustard on the flattened chicken breasts and then sprinkle them with the onion. Place an even number of asparagus spears in the center of the chicken and then fold the sides over. Place a toothpick in the chicken to hold them closed, if needed.
- Using an ungreased microwave-safe dish, place the chicken breasts into the dish seam side down. Sprinkle the chicken with cracker crumbs. Place the uncovered dish in the microwave and cook on high for 6 to 8 minutes. You can tell the chicken has cooked enough when the juices run clear. Keep the chicken warm while you create the hollandaise sauce.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Remove the bowl and slowly whisk in the egg yolks, lemon juice, water and salt to taste. Place the bowl back into the microwave. Heat at 30% power for 30 seconds or until the mixture thickens or it has reached 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir it once and then spoon it over the chicken. Garnish with the toasted, sliced almonds. If you used toothpicks, discard them before serving.