The state of Michigan is one of the most northern states in the U.S. In fact, one of its borders is the country of Canada! But while Michigan has extremely cold winters, it also has plenty of wildlife, history, and interesting sights for kids to learn about as they study the state!
Add to your Michigan state unit study with these neat Michigan crafts for kids! These include animals that live in the area, cultural and historical events from the state’s founding, and geographic landforms that will help kids understand more about what makes this state great!
Planning a road trip to Michigan soon? Pick up some of these printable car activities for kids to use along the way!
Michigan Crafts for Kids:
1. Michigan’s state bird is the robin. Your kids will love making this realistic Robin Craft out of a paper plate!
2. The painted turtle is Michigan’s state reptile. Paint your own turtle with this lovely Rock Turtle Craft!
3. The Motown sound defined the rhythm and blues hits of the 1960s and 1970s. Since the record company was founded in Detroit, this Coffee Filter Vinyl Record Craft will be a cool craft for kids who are learning about Michigan!
4. Another famous company that was founded in Michigan is the Ford Motor Company. Henry Ford’s manufacturing plants helped to contribute to Detroit’s growth in the early 20th century. The kids will love building their own Toilet Paper Roll Car!
5. The Little Sable Point Lighthouse is one of the famous sightings along Michigan’s coastline. Make this adorable Cupcake Liner Lighthouse Craft!
6. Did you know that Michigan is the leading U.S. producer of blueberries? Pick some fresh ones and then make this gorgeous Blueberry Sensory Dough!
7. Study the shores of Lake Michigan and then make this colorful Sand in a Bottle Craft!
8. The largest tulip festival in the U.S. is held every year in the town of Holland, Michigan. The kids will love creating their own bouquets with this Origami Tulip Craft!
Have you tried any similar Michigan crafts for kids? Share your ideas in the comments!