Melting Witch Cupcakes are an adorable fall recipe perfect for a fall party. Better yet, these witch hat cupcakes are so easy, I think I’ll make them just for fun.
If you’re looking for more fun halloween cupcake recipes be sure to check out my easy halloween pumpkin cupcakes! They’re perfect for a halloween party and so simple, the kids can help make them!
Back to the witch cupcakes, though…how cute are they?! The secret is being a little silly and stacking some of the best treats ever in a witch-hat shape. Who needs an ice cream cone to make a witch hat, when you have Hershey’s Kisses?!
How to Make Melting Witch Cupcakes
I don’t always make cupcakes, but when I do, I like to start with a tasty vanilla cupcake recipe that’s pretty tried and true. So, I mix that up in a large bowl while I preheat oven to 350 degrees. To make these chocolate cupcakes, I then add in some cocoa powder. Easy peasy.
Once the cupcake batter is ready, I go ahead and line my tin with cupcake liners and fill them with about 1/2 cup of batter.
Now, I didn’t know this until recently, but apparently, if you gently drop or bang the cupcake tin on the counter a few times, it’ll push some of the bubbles out of the cake and pop them. Isn’t that cool?!
While my halloween treats are baking in the oven, I make my buttercream frosting. Now, I chose to go with neon green food coloring to make green frosting, because you know, melting witch. But it was pointed out later to me by one of the kids that I could have used neon orange frosting to make an orange witch (I don’t know that orange witches are a thing, but apparently, according to my kid…).
By the time I get the buttercream done, it’s usually time to pull the cupcakes out of the oven. After they cool, it’s time to decorate!
For these halloween cupcakes, you just grab a couple cookies and some chocolate kisses. Super SUPER simple and the kids loved helping!
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the Melting Witch Cupcakes are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for
Must Have Resources:
When making Witch Hat Cupcakes at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Meal:
Main Dish: Chicken Fajita Chili
Vegetable Side: 2-Cheese Squash Casserole
Starch Side: Southwestern Cheddar Steak Fries
Refreshing Drink: Spooky Halloween Mocktail
Best Fall Dessert Recipes:
Once you make this Melting Witch Cupcake Recipe, you’ll probably find that all 24 cupcakes are gone in a flash. So you’ll need some more easy fall desserts your kids are going to love!
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake Mix Muffins
- Pecan Praline Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash Dessert Recipes (yes, you read that right)
Fall Pumpkin Recipes:
If you’re not really here for the desserts, but you are looking for some easy fall recipes, these are some of the very best recipes around–and they rock!
For the cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
For the frosting:
- 3 sticks room temperature salted butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Green food color
- Oreo cookies
- Hershey Kisses
- Prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment
- Whisk the ingredients until well combined and there are no lumps
- Add in all the wet ingredients and mix until combined
- Fill the cupcake liners halfway with batter and bake for 15 minute or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take the cupcakes out of the pan and place on a cooling rack
- While the cupcakes are cooling make the frosting.
!For the frosting:
- Place the butter in the mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on high for 2-3 minute or until light and fluffy
- Add in vanilla and the powdered sugar one cup at a time
- After all of the ingredients are combined add in the whipping cream
- Add in the green food color until you get the desired color
- Place frosting in a piping bag with a large round tip, or a ziplock bag with the corner cut off. Pipe a swirl of frosting on each cupcake and place the toppers on.
!To make the witch's hats:
- Pull apart an Oreo cookie and scrape off the cream filling
- Take a Hershey kiss and place a small amount of frosting on the bottom and place on the middle of one half of an Oreo cookie. Continue until you have 24 hats
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 3g