Get ready to love the ease of this Homemade French Bread Recipe! Easy bread recipes like this should be made all the time. Perfect for a quick snack or addition to any dinner.
Save yourself a trip to the store and make your bread right at home. You’ll be amazed at how fast and simple it is to whip up!
Most people have no idea that making your bread recipe at home isn’t that hard to do. Minimal ingredients are needed, but the outcome is always maximum flavor.
Homemade French Bread Recipe
My boys love when I make bread from scratch because they love the taste and texture. The fun part about making French Bread is that you can easily use it as a sandwich or dipping bread.
The leftovers are just as good the next day, too! We eat a ton of bread in our house, so having a good, dependable, easy bread recipe is essential! (and this one is the best!)
You can use this to make ahead and have homemade bread for a meal or have it on your radar for when you need a simple carb fix. The recipe is so versatile!
How do I slice baked bread?
Slicing baked bread may seem like a simple task, but it’s essential to get it right if you want to enjoy your fresh loaf to the fullest.
First, ensure your bread has completely cooled before you begin slicing. This will prevent the bread from squishing or tearing as you cut. Use a serrated bread knife to create smooth, even slices.
For a rustic look, you can cut the loaf at an angle. Alternatively, position the loaf flat and slice straight across for more uniform sandwich slices.
Remember to keep your fingers clear of the blade and use a gentle sawing motion to slice through the crust. With a little practice, you’ll be slicing bread like a pro in no time!
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients in the French Bread Recipe are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for
Shop My Kitchen:
The following items can be found in my kitchen here at Miller Manor. Simply click the image that interests you – yes, they do contain affiliate links.
Must Have Resources:
When making Baked Bread at home, you really need to have the following Amazon affiliate tools on hand.
Make it a Meal:
Now is the time to give meal planning a try! You’ll love how simple and easy it is to plan all the meals for the day and week!
Main Dish: Chicken Chili Lime Soup Recipe
Vegetable Side: Indian Curry with Paneer and Peas
Refreshing Drink: Raspberry Lemon Sorbet Mocktail Recipe
Don’t forget Dessert: Key Lime Cupcakes Recipe
Best Bread Recipes:
Once you make this Simple Bread Recipe, check out all the other ways to make a loaf or two of bread! You can make them all and see which ones you like the best.
This Neapolitan Ice Cream Bread Recipe is a fun, quick snack or dessert idea.
Plan out your next snack by making this Crack Crescent Rolls Recipe!
This Lemon Zucchini Bread Recipe has so much yummy flavor and taste!
I love the flavor of this Maple Nut Bread! You won’t be able to have just one slice!
Blueberry Bread is one of my favorites! Check out the flavor!
Everyone agrees that this Flavorful Unicorn Monkey Bread Recipe is so yummy!
Anytime I crave something sweet, I make this Simple Berry Delicious Monkey Bread Recipe.
How do I make sure yeast is active?
If you’re a baker, the last thing you want is to waste your time and ingredients on inactive yeast. To ensure that your yeast is active, activating it before adding it to your recipe is important.
Mix a small amount of sugar and warm water in a bowl. Then add the yeast and stir gently until the mixture is smooth. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until the yeast bubbles and foam on the surface.
The bubbling indicates that the yeast is alive and ready to use. If you don’t see any activity, your yeast may have expired, or the water used may have been too hot or cold.
Don’t be discouraged because practice makes perfect! By checking the yeast before using it, you can have confidence that your baked goods will turn out perfectly.
More Yeast Recipes:
- 2 packages Active dry yeast
- ½ cup Water Warm
- 1 tsp Granulated white sugar
- 7½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 cups Water warm
- 1 large Egg white
- ½ cup Cornmeal
- Add the packages of dry yeast and 1 tsp of white sugar with a 1/2 cup of warm water. Set it aside until it is foamy.
- In a different bowl, combine 1 T of salt and 2 cups of lukewarm water. Beat in 2 cups of flour.
- Blend the yeast mixture and stir in 4 - 4 1/2 cups of flour. This will make a soft dough.
- Pout the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. This will take 7-10 minutes. Work in the rest of the flour.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning it once.
- Cover it and let the dough rise. It needs to double in size. This will take about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down and then put it onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into two portions and then cover each portion. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each portion into a rectangle. (about 15 X 12" in size) Roll tightly at the beginning and then at the long end, and seal it well. Taper the ends.
- Place the loaves, seam side down, onto a baking sheet already greased and sprinkled with cornstarch.
- Use a sharp knife and cut lines every 2 1/2 inches on top of the bread. Cut them about 1/4 inch deep.
- In a bowl, beat one egg white until foamy and then mix in 1 T of water.
- Brush the egg mixture on the top of the bread and also on the sides.
- Cover the loaves with a damp cloth, but don't let the cloth touch the loaves. You can use glasses to set around the loaves so that it holds the damp cloth. Let the bread rise for 1 1/2 hours. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until light brown.
- Baste the loaves again with the egg mixture and then bake another 20 minutes. If the loaves are browning too much, cover them with foil.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 8/5/2023
Do you add butter to your baked bread or eat them like they are?