Family Game Night is a serious tradition in our house. We love reserving time to spend games together as a family, even as our kids get older.
Throughout the years, we’ve played many, many board games and we’ve tried lots of kids’ activities. But these 10 ideas for family game night are some of our all-time favorites. When you’re planning your next family game evening, try one of these suggestions for a new way to have fun together!
Family Game Night:
1. HiHo! Cherry-O Inspired Game Night – HiHo! Cherry-O! is a favorite with my family. We extended the game into an evening of fun and learning with fine motor, mathematics, and literacy connections. Plus find out how to make your own Cherry Counting Book.
2. Game Night and Taco Bar – Get the family talking at the dinner table by holding a family game night and taco bar. My fast and easy Grilled Chicken Taco Recipe will leave you time to join in the fun.
3. Color Land Run and Write (Candy Land) – An adaptation of of the original game that gets the kids up and moving around. This game develops gross motor skills, fine motor skills, literacy skills and math skills! That’s a lot of skill building for one game!
4. Treasure Hunt Game Night – This Treasure Hunt game is a combination of a hunt, a trivia game and a race to get a puzzle completed first.
5. Rummikub Math = Family Fun Night! – Using the tile game Rummikub, you can get your kids practicing math facts, counting in their heads and learning math shortcuts all while eating candy and having fun!
6. Apples to Apples Recipes for Family Game Night – One of the best parts about hosting a game night is coming up with great food to serve! For a fun night playing Apples to Apples, here are some great Apples to Apples Recipes for Family Game Night!
7. Learning States and Capitals with Family Game Night – Turn game night into a total learning experience with Great States Junior PLUS some FREE printable flashcards!
8. Clue Fruit Kebabs with Yogurt Dip – Make a fun and yummy Clue inspired fruit kebabs and yogurt dip to go with your game of Clue on family game night.
9. The Ladybug Game Counting Cards – A great game for the preschoolers that does not require any reading, but does require the kiddos to count, interpret symbols, and take turns…all great skills for young children!
10. Family Game Night Inspired by LEGO – This Family Game Night was full of Lego action, consisting of lego snacks, lego science experiments, a few rounds of store bought Lego games and an action packed homemade game of Hide and Go Seek 20 Questions using our favorite stuffed lego man.
Family Game Night Resources:
Make sure to check out these affiliate resources to make your family game night extra special!
- Hi-Ho Cherry-O Game – Hasbro
- Clue: The Classic Edition – Winning Moves Games
- Apples to Apples Party Box – Mattel