One of my favorite things about planning baby showers is the decorations and these baseball themed baby shower centerpieces are the most fun of decorations – they knock it out of the park!
Oh, but wait – you’re excited about the idea of hosting a shower, but you have no idea where to start?! That’s ok, really. Make certain to check out this awesome list of baby shower ideas for boys!
I’ve got you covered with these tips for how to host a baby shower. Perfect for the first-time party planner – or even the 100th time!
But, let’s get back to these home plate centerpieces for the baby shower. They’re SUPER quick to come together. And could be even quicker, if you know what you’re doing and aren’t trying to plan them out while you’re making them (hello, me!)! LOL!
In all seriousness, though, this is a fun craft and it’s going to look so cute with your other baseball baby shower decorations. And you can use this home plate centerpiece for table signs, markers for your baseball baby shower games or just general baby shower signs. Whatever you need them for to get the theme established for your baseball party (yes, even a birthday party!)!
So, if you’re ready to get crafting for one of my favorite boy baby shower themes (although a girl could do it too, let’s be honest – that would be COOL!), let’s get off the mound and start running the bases!
Typically, I don’t go out of my way to shop at only ONE store to find all of the supplies for a particular craft. I mean, why narrow your options, right?! But this time, I just happened to be at the dollar store and I found everything I needed RIGHT THERE! It was crazy!
So, I did pull some affiliate links for you, just to help you find what you need, but know that you CAN make this entire
- Glass Fishbowls
- White, Red, and Blue Tissue Paper
- Craft Dowels
- Acrylic Paint
- Stress Balls
- Thin Canvas Boards
If you want to drape the mini pennant banner across it, you can find those in my quick baby shower decorations tutorial here! It’s an instant download of baseball baby shower printables for decor, so you can make that bit in just a few seconds, too.
Making a handmade centerpiece for a sports themed baby shower really can be as simple or as complex as you’d like. I went with as few frills and whatnot because I was planning on making several, so it meant I needed to think about saving time.
Honestly, I got this down to a science. So, if you’re gathering your tools, here’s what you’re going to need:
- Craft Knife or Stout Scissors
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue
That should be everything you need, but let’s go through some tips and tricks and you can see how to customize your vintage baseball centerpieces.
Tips and Tricks:
I’m always honest, I can’t help it. And one of the things I like best about this easy baby shower craft is that it’s so simple. If you need a sign or baseball-themed numbering system for the tables for your fun baby shower games, this centerpiece can do it. But, to make them, let’s walk through some tricks to make them more unique and your own.
- When you go to make your cuts on your canvas boards to make the home plates, don’t feel like you need to make that cut all the way through in one pass. Go slow, take a couple of passes – and if it looks a little ragged when you’re done, you can always hit it with a piece of sandpaper to clean up the edge!
- If you can’t find little squishy baseballs to put on your dowels, don’t panic. I couldn’t and you wouldn’t even guess! Mine were a volleyball and a golf ball that I painted (yes, I just painted them!) to look like a baseball. So, remember – improvise!
- If you want to make your centerpieces two-sided, just glue a second home plate canvas to the back side of the first. This is going to make your dowel awfully heavy, so you might want to hide some floral foam in the bottom of your fishbowl to help the dowel stand up.
- Make this even more personalized by adding the baby’s name on the home plate using vinyl lettering cut on a Cricut or Silhouette!
What Do You Do With Baseball Themed Baby Shower Centerpieces
What in the world do you do with these baby shower baseball centerpieces?! Easy! You set the tone for your whole set of party decorations!
You can use the centerpieces as table decor, designate a table for gifts, use them decorate a table with the baby shower cakes on it, anything!
Whatever you might choose to do, these are perfect decorations for a baseball shower – with or without any other elaborate pieces. Just toss the centerpieces on a table near the door, maybe another in the kitchen and your guests are going to know you were playing the game!
Other Baseball Baby Shower Ideas:
- Start your party off right with these easy baseball baby shower invitations! They’re quick to come together and absolutely adorable – definitely a favorite Cricut print and cut project in my opinion!
- Baseball baby shower decorations come together in a fast-pitch of action with a quick print-and-cut download and dash!
- Check out these easy baseball cupcakes that you can make in MINUTES – seriously, they’re that simple!
- 1 - 6-inch Glass Fishbowl
- 1 - 2-inch Squeeze Ball
- White Acrylic Paint
- Red Acrylic Paint
- 1 - 5x7-inch Canvas Board
- 1/2 Sheet Red, White, and Blue Tissue Paper
- 1 - 8-inch Wood Dowel
- Blue Curling Ribbon
- Craft Knife or Stout Scissors
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue
- 1/4-inch Drill Bit and Drill, optional
- Start by painting your squeeze balls white (if they're not already baseballs - if they are, you can skip this step). Allow the paint to dry completely, adding a second coat to full cover the paint color underneath. Once dry, paint the red stitches onto the ball. Allow that coat of paint to dry completely.
- Paint red stitching on the fishbowl. I used a red acrylic paint marker which worked really well for this, but it can be done with a paintbrush just as easily. Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Thread the squishy ball onto the dowel about halfway. I found it was easy to do this, but if you have trouble, you can drill a hole through the center of the ball.
- Cut the top two corners off the canvas board, at an equal distance from the corners. This creates your home plate. If the edge is ragged looking, use a small piece of sand paper to smooth it. Set aside.
- Layer the tissue paper as desired, then hot glue the dowel to the center of the tissue paper layers. Gently pull the tissue paper up around the dowel and tie it in place with the blue curling ribbon.
- Insert the tissue paper (with dowel) into the fish bowl and arrange the ribbon and tissue paper spilling out of the top.
- Hot glue the top of the exposed dowel to the back of the home plate. Allow the hot glue to cool completely. Then enjoy!
If you’re loving this easy DIY baby shower centerpiece craft, but you’re not quite ready to get the hot glue gun out, take a minute and pin the tutorial here to your favorite party ideas board on Pinterest so you can grab it quick when you’re ready!
Baby Shower Food Ideas:
- Unicorn Baby Shower Food Ideas – If you are having a unicorn baby shower, you need all of these fun themed foods.
- Pink non-alcoholic drink recipes – Over 20 recipes for pink colored, non-alcoholic drinks for your party.
- Pink Desserts – these 22+ pink colored desserts are sure to help you in your baby shower food planning!