Living in South Alabama, we love our spicy flavors. This Southwestern Chicken Chili recipe has all the fixings of the perfect southern dish with some Mexican spice! This is comfort food, plain and simple. So, warm up the family tonight with this spicy dish that has unique flavors in every spoon!
- 1 cup chopped onions 2 medium
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar 16 oz medium picante sauce
- 1 can 15 to 16 oz pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- Sliced green onion if desired
- Sliced chili peppers if desired
- Tortilla Chips
In 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix onions, bell pepper and garlic.
In large bowl, mix cornmeal, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt. Add chicken; toss to coat. Add chicken and any remaining seasoning mixture to vegetables in slow cooker. Gently stir in picante sauce, beans and tomatoes.
Cover; cook on Low setting 6 to 8 hours.
Serve with tortilla chips - garnish with sliced green onions and/or peppers if desired