The cayenne pepper in this hot chocolate adds an explosive kick to a plain cocoa drink!
Done here in the Dirty South, we like to put cayenne in EVERYTHING, even our hot chocolate – which, if you think about it, is a little strange. You know, it is hot enough down here without trying to raise our internal body heat… but we like thing that way. LOL!
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2½ cups powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or more for added punch)
- Hot water
- In a medium size bowl, combine the dry ingredients until evenly distributed. Wet a fingertip and dip it into the mix to taste-test the spicyness. If you want more punch, add a bit more cayenne.
- Using a coffee maker or pot on the stove, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.
- Take your coffee mug and fill it half-full with the dry mix. Top with hot water and stir well.
- Depending on the mug size, makes 2-4 cups.