Traveling to the state of Delaware for a family vacation? You’re probably wondering what kinds of attractions and sightseeing spots you can visit with the kids! After all, Delaware is one of the smallest states in the U.S., so it’s easy to think that there’s not a lot to do there.
But Delaware has plenty of attractions for kids of all ages! These kid-friendly things to do in Delaware include children’s museums, zoos, amusement parks, art exhibits, state parks, and more that will keep the whole family entertained on your trip!
Kid Friendly Things to do in Delaware
1. Children are the main audience at the Delaware Children’s Museum. This indoor attraction features plenty of hands-on exhibits for kids who love to play, climb, and touch everything they see! Themed exhibits include Bank On It, a life-sized pretend bank, and Training Wheels, a hands-on transportation adventure!
2. If you’ll be visiting Delaware in the summer, you’ve got to check out Funland! This seaside amusement park is home to arcades, carnival games, and rides for kids of all ages! Younger kids can play safely on kiddie attractions, while the older kids can ride as many thrill rides as they want!
3. At Cape Henlopen State Park, you and the kids can get your fill of the great outdoors! There are beaches for swimming and sunbathing, as well as disc golf, basketball, and year-round hiking. Be sure to bring your binoculars for birdwatching!
4. Exhibitions at the Delaware Art Museum include plenty to sights to keep kids excited about art! There are permanent collections featuring artists from all over the world, but kids can also take art classes, listen to tales from the storyteller-in-residence, and explore hands-on art in the Kids Corner!
5. Covering just 12 acres, the Brandywine Zoo in Wilmington is a perfect afternoon outing for the family. At the zoo, kids can explore sloths, goats, tigers, bald eagles, honeybees, and many more species! There are even special workshops for kids who want to learn more about how these animals live!
6. While some history museums can be a little boring for kids, the Delaware Museum of Natural History is specially targeted for families. At the museum, kids can tour special halls dedicated to birds, mammals, and geology. The Dinosaur Gallery, with its life-size fossil replicas, is an especially big hit with children!
7. Get to know some of the famous athletes that have come from the state at the Delaware Sports Museum and Hall of Fame! If you have a sports fan in your family, they’ll love this walk through sports history. Plus, admission to the museum is free!
8. Go for a fishing or sailing trip at Delaware Seashore State Park. This park features miles of beaches and an up-close look at local wildlife. Bring a couple of surfboards and hit the waves with the kids while you’re there!
9. At the Nemours Mansion & Gardens, you and the family can tour a mansion owned by the wealthy industrialist Alfred DuPont. This home is truly a marvel, boasting 77 rooms, the largest private French garden in the country, and a garage with plenty of beautifully-maintained vintage automobiles.
10. The Winterthur Museum is much more than an art museum. This facility also houses a library and a garden, where kids can see flowers in bloom throughout the year. Don’t miss the Enchanted Woods – an outdoor spot where kids can explore the Fairy Cottage and the Tulip Tree House!
Kid Friendly Travel Resources:
Are you prepared to travel with your kids? The following things will help you on your journey!
- Grab this list of the best, kid-friendly road trip songs!
- Read 10 tips for traveling with children from Kids Activities Blog!
- Prepare for your trip with this list of over 20 fun road trip activities for kids!
More Delaware State Resources:
Taking a trip to Delaware is a great way to teach your children about the state and makes a great companion to my Delaware State Unit Study!
The Delaware State Unit Study is a perfect, week-long, study about the first state! You and your child will learn so many interesting facts, people, and events about Delaware by completing the entire study that your children will beg for more and more information! This is the perfect guide to Delaware history for kids!