Rabbits not only represent luck and fertility, but they are fun, cuddly animals that many kids want as pets. Consequently, they are a great unit study! These Books about Rabbits for Kids will help you teach your children all about them, follow some fictional rabbit families, and learn to care for them as pets!
Books About Rabbits:
1. All 23 original Tales by Beatrix Potter are available in a beautifully redesigned presentation box. This luxurious box features the new branded design, spot lamination and full-color original Beatrix Potter art, including a pop-up of Peter Rabbit and friends inside the lid.
2. Gibbons introduces rabbits in a large, square-format volume, brightly illustrated in her signature style. The text puts together a variety of facts on the history, types, physical traits, habits, senses, and development of wild rabbits, but there is no real connective discourse. Also included are instructions on caring for pet rabbits. Two pages of captioned drawings indicate the differences between rabbits and hares. Colored washes and crayon shading enliven the clearly delineated ink drawings, though in some cases the rabbits have a stuffed-toy look about them.
3. Rabbits and hares may seem like cute and fluffy animals in storybooks, but they are amazing creatures. Did you know:
Rabbits may play dead to fool animals that are chasing them?
A mother rabbit can have up to twelve babies at once?
A racing snowshoe hare could jump the length of two beds end to end?
All of this information and more can be found in this exciting book.
4. How does 1+1 = 288? A family of rabbits soon supplies the answer in this funny story! Hop along to Fibonacci’s Field and follow Lonely and Chalk Rabbit through a year as they try to cope with their fast expanding brood and handle a different seasonal challenge each month, from the cold of February to the wet of April and the heat of July. This extraordinary picture book is packed with gorgeous details and novelty elements including a baby rabbit record book, a carrot recipe book and a surprise pop-up ending.
5. Illus. in color. “Delightfully familiar family dialogue surrounds the momentous loss of a first tooth by a rabbit girl. Large-scale three-color drawings depict the same warm, homey details lodged in the text and clinch the book’s sure appeal.”–(starred) Booklist.
6. Full-color photographs. “The warm, cuddly world of a real rabbit family is introduced to young readers in enchanting photographs.”–Children’s Books of the Year, Child Study Assn.
7. The Tale of Peter Rabbit is the tale of a mischievous rabbit and his nerve-wracking encounter with Mr. McGregor.
8. When Mouse lets his best friend, Rabbit, play with his brand-new airplane, trouble isn’t far behind. From Caldecott Honor award winner Eric Rohmann comes a brand-new picture book about friends and toys and trouble, illustrated in robust, expressive prints.
9. Some rabbits dream about lettuces and carrots, others dream of flowering meadows and juicy dandelions, but Ralfy dreams only of books. In fact, he doesn’t just dream about them, he wants to read them ALL THE TIME. Soon his obsession sends him spiraling into a life of crime!
10. At first a brand-new toy, now a threadbare and discarded nursery relic, the velveteen rabbit is saved from peril by a magic fairy who whisks him away to the idyllic world of Rabbitland. There, he becomes “Real,” a cherished childhood companion who will be loved for eternity. Treasured for generations, here is a timeless tale about the magic of boundless love, newly available with the luminous color of the original edition.
11. This updated Peter Rabbit touch and feel book is packed with eleven different textures for little hands to explore. From a rough tortoise shell and crinkly lettuce leaves to the fluffy feathers of Jemima Puddle-duck’s chicks, every page features a different feel.With Beatrix Potter’s original illustrations and a simple text, this is a classic touch-and-feel book that toddlers are sure to love.
I hope you and your children enjoy learning about rabbits and following some fun rabbit tales with these Books about Rabbits for Kids!