Y’all are loving our candy bar cupcake recipes, so I thought I’d add another one to our collection! This M&M Candy Bar Cupcake Recipe has a special “surprise inside” making it perfect for a birthday party.
M&Ms are always a party favourite – and you can even get personalized M&Ms with special colours, messages, and even pictures on them! I just used a plain bag of M&Ms for this M&M Candy Bar Cupcake Recipe and I still think they’re pretty cute!
Now, this cupcake is a bit different than other “surprise inside” cupcakes because I doubled-up on the surprises and also made this version a little less messy by putting the “loose” candy in the frosting so that it doesn’t fall out when you bite into the cupcake.
The second surprise is a melted square of chocolate in the center… ooey, gooey but not so messy that it will drip onto unsuspecting guests’ clothing! (I ensured that the chocolates were melted but not baked into the cupcakes by adding them to the cupcakes close to the end of the baking time – at about the 12 minute mark.)
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- PLUS listed ingredients on cake mix box
- 12 chocolate squares
- 2-12 oz bags M&Ms
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa
- 3-5 cups icing sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Prepare the cake mix according to box directions. Portion out ⅓ cup of batter into each liner of a lined muffin tray.
- When the cupcakes are a bit puffy but not completely baked, about the 12 minute mark, remove from the oven and add a square of chocolate to the top of each cupcake. It will sink into the middle of the cupcake and melt into a glorious chocolate surprise. Bake for the remaining time according to the box directions, and remove to a cooling rack to cool when an inserted toothpick comes out clean (steering clear of the center as the melted chocolate will skew things).
- Meanwhile, prepare your chocolate buttercream frosting by blending the butter, cocoa, icing sugar, vanilla, and using the cream to adjust for your desired consistency.
- I used an offset spatula to add a "base layer" of frosting, added a scoop of M&Ms, and then used a piping bag (with no tip, just a snipped off edge) to add a swirl of chocolate buttercream ontop, and used that offset spatula to flatten the frosting down.
- Garnish with additional M&Ms as desired.
Do you have an M&M fan in your life who would love this M&M Candy Bar Cupcake Recipe?