College students practically live on coffee. It’s pretty much a basic need, right up there with sleep and breathing. 🙂 So it’s likely that your coffee maker will get plenty of use during the semester.
But – did you know that you can use your coffee maker for making more than just coffee? It’s true! You can actually prepare food – and I mean, real food, in a coffee maker!
Don’t believe me? Check out this list of things to cook with a coffee machine and give a few a try this year!
Stumped for some simple recipes to make? Try this list of over 50 hamburger meat recipes! And be sure to get your motivation up for the new semester with these inspirational quotes about education for college students!
Over 10 Things to Cook with a Coffee Machine:
Note: To do this successfully, think of the coffee maker as a tiny stove and pot. Once you use it that way, you’ll probably come up with tons of ideas to try! Remember – don’t put any coffee into the back of the machine! Just turn the machine on to heat up the burner.
1. Oatmeal – Yep, you can use a coffee maker to cook oatmeal. Just fill the coffee pot with the amount of water you need and follow the directions on the instant oatmeal package.
2. Poached egg – Heat water in the coffee maker pot. Then remove the pot and crack an egg directly into the water. Place it back on the burner and heat until the egg firms.
3. Soup – Open a couple of cans of soup and heat them in the pot. Simple!
4. Hot dogs – Pour water into the carafe and add your hot dogs. Heat for a few minutes until cooked through.
5. Poached salmon and vegetables – This one is hard to believe, but it’s true! You can actually make a complete meal in a coffeemaker.
6. Ramen noodles – Empty cup of soup into the pot and cook until the noodles have softened and the soup is hot.
7. Steamed vegetables – Add a little water to the bottom of the pot and place the vegetables inside. Cook until softened.
8. Chicken soup – Add chicken broth, cut-up cooked chicken, and egg noodles to the pot. Heat until noodles are softened.
9. Canned ravioli – Have a few cans of Chef Boyardee lying around? Add a tiny bit of water to the pot and empty the cans into it. Stir regularly.
10. Lentils – Since lentils cook easily, they’re perfect for coffee maker cooking! Just add rinsed, sorted lentils and water, along with a few bouillon cubes. Heat on the burner until the beans are soft and heated through.
11. Grits – Grits work just like cooking oatmeal in the coffee maker. Simply add water to the pot and follow the package instructions.
Resources to Cook with a Coffee Machine
Think you’d like to try making food with your coffee maker? Grab these supplies to help!
- Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
- The Ultimate Guide to Coffee Recipes – The Need for Only Coffee and Cream
- Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer and Full Pot Coffee Maker