Florida is on the short list for many families when they’re planning a family vacation. Since there are so many attractions in the state, it can be tough to narrow down a destination. After all, there are plenty of places to visit in the Sunshine State, including the city of Tampa!
Tampa is located on the Gulf of Mexico, so the water is warm, the weather is nice, and there are plenty of kid-friendly attractions for the whole family to enjoy! Busch Gardens is one of the area’s most popular sights, and it’s on our list also, but there’s a lot more to Tampa than roller coasters.
When you’re ready to plan your next Florida vacation, be sure to include these 10 things to do with kids in Tampa! The list includes thrilling amusement parks, zoos, aquariums, sporting events, children’s museums, and more you can explore together with the family!
Learn more about Tampa and the other cities in Florida with these children’s books about Florida!
Tampa: 10 Things to Do With Kids!
1. Busch Gardens Tampa has six roller coasters for your older kids and mini rides for your little tykes. Plus, there are water rides, animal shows, and even private animal tours you can book to get a look at the wildlife up close!
2. Getting tickets to a Tampa Bay Rays game can be an unforgettable experience for kids of all ages! Even if your children aren’t really into baseball, seeing the athletes and enjoying the fun will be a hit with everyone!
3. Animals from all seven continents are on display at the Lowry Park Zoo, including the African elephant, the Indian Gharial, the Queensland Koala, and the Atlantic Stingray. It’s a perfect outing for the family!
4. At the Glazer Children’s Museum, kids can explore the entire facility and pretend to fly airplanes, work in a bank, be firemen, or even work in a hospital!
5. A visit to the Florida Aquarium is an awesome way to spend a day indoors with the kids, which is great on a hot summer’s day. The aquarium is home to all kinds of animals – both land and marine, including coral, pythons, owls, otters, and lemurs!
6. Summers in Tampa are, of course, are hot, so a trip to the water park Adventure Island is the best way to beat the heat! Water slides like the Caribbean Corkscrew, the Calypso Coaster, and the Key West Rapids are exciting for thrill seekers and little ones will love splashing around at Fabian’s Fun Port!
7. At the Museum of Science and Industry, you and the kids can test out hands-on science exhibits that demonstrate scientific principles in action, including electricity, magnetism, and motion. There’s even a planetarium where you can all discover the night sky!
8. The 20-acre Dinosaur World is a prehistoric-themed park with life-size dinosaurs that are safe for kids! Along with exploring the dinosaurs, kids can participate in a fossil dig, see authentic fossils, and even attend a dinosaur game show!
9. Big Cat Rescue is a one-of-a-kind animal sanctuary that’s worth a visit! This park is a safe space for wild cats that have been rescued from inhumane zoos and wildlife parks. When you visit, you can trust that the cats are well cared for and happy, which makes it a worthwhile attraction for everyone!
10. Don’t be afraid to take the kids to the Tampa Museum of Art! While there are priceless works on display, there are also kids’ programs and day camp events where kids can create art of their own!
Have you visited Tampa with the kids before? Did I miss any must-see spots? Share your family things to do with kids in Tampa in the comments!