Brooklyn, one of the five boroughs of New York City, has become really popular over the past few years. Once a neighborhood featuring mostly older residents and buildings, the area has become a destination for new and upcoming restaurants, shops, and attractions, including several kid-friendly sights!
Before you start planning a trip to the borough, be sure to check out these Kid Friendly things to do in Brooklyn, NY while you’re there! Brooklyn may be a hotspot for young adults, but there’s plenty for young children and teenagers to enjoy as well!
And for a truly memorable vacation to the Big Apple, rent a two-seater bicycle and visit these places to see by bike in New York City!
Kid Friendly Things to do in Brooklyn, NY
1. Kids just love amusement parks and Brooklyn’s Coney Island is one of the most famous in the U.S.! Stop by to ride the Cyclone, one of the oldest roller coasters in operation today, or just lay out on the beach and get a nice tan.
2. Take a spin back in time on Jane’s Carousel, a beautifully restored carousel from 1922. Located in a glass building with scenic views of the Brooklyn Bridge, this is a fascinating and unique stop for families in the area!
3. What kid doesn’t love going to the playground? There are SEVEN playgrounds for children to explore at Brooklyn’s Prospect Park! Plus, there are baseball fields, basketball courts, and horseback riding spaces. If you’re there in the winter, lace up for a family ice skating session!
4. Your children will definitely enjoy a tour of the Brooklyn Museum. At this destination for artists to showcase works from around the world, kids can attend art-making workshops, listen to stories, or even watch a film or two!
5. Get outdoors along the river at Brooklyn Bridge Park! The park features six piers, including one with a beach, as well as playgrounds, an Environmental Education Center, a climbing wall, and botanical gardens to explore right along the waterfront.
6. Take a stroll along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade with your kids and get a look at some of the historical buildings in the area! Challenge the kids to spot historical plaques that mark points of interest along the way.
7. Children will have a ball exploring the Brooklyn Botanic Garden on a warm day. Attend a garden storytime, walk on the elevated boardwalk, explore the garden’s two waterfalls, and visit the Insect Hotel while you’re there!
8. The Brooklyn Navy Yard Center has been in operation since 1801 and you and the kid can learn about its rich history with a tour! At the center, you can learn about ships that have been built at the yard and how they figured in American history. Plus, admission is free!
9. You and the kids can get to know some wild animals at the Prospect Park Zoo! Spend some time with the farm animals at the barn or walk through the Hall of Animals to see some of the zoo’s smallest residents, including frogs and turtles. The popular Sea Lion Court is a must-see for a wet and wild show!
10. If you’re visiting during the winter or if the weather turns rainy, take the kids to the Brooklyn Children’s Museum where they can burn off some energy and get a science lesson at the same time! Exhibits on display include the Sensory Room, Neighborhood Nature, and the Brooklyn Block Lab!
Kid Friendly Travel Resources:
Are you prepared to travel with your kids? The following things will help you on your journey!