These Sea Turtle Books for Kids are full of great turtle knowledge. Dare I say that they’ll have lots of “turtle power” after reading these books? These books are a great way to get the kids excited about reading!
In this list of books you’ll find facts and stories all about turtles. The kids are certain to love the tiny little characters in the books and root them on, too!
I think we can all agree that turtles are just too cute to pass up and this is why you need to have these books on your radar.
As part of our ocean animals unit study, we are reading. Reading lots and LOTS of books. We started with books about the Orca Whale and are now covering Sea Turtles! There are enough books here to last a couple of weeks or to give you plenty of choices for the best fit(s) for your family.
Table of Contents
How old is the oldest known sea turtle fossil?
Sea turtles have been around for a really long time! As of now, there is a fossil of a sea turtle that they date back to 120 million years ago!
How long can turtles hold their breath underwater?
It all depends on the type of turtle but some can hold their breath for up to 5 hours!
1. On a quiet moonlit beach, a baby green sea turtle stirs from a dream of home. Slowly, slowly with a tap, crick, crack, the baby turtle embarks upon a mysterious nighttime journey. Gentle tender verse and enchanting illustrations carry this tranquil tale from sand to sea.
2. Who could resist celebrating sea turtles? They may seem like lazy ocean reptiles drifting with the oceans’ currents, but they are actually long-distance swimmers that spend their entire lives searching for food and a mate. What’s more, they come with their own built-in GPS, returning to the exact beach where they were born to lay their own eggs. Kids will learn all about these tranquil and mysterious animals through brilliant photography and illustrations, plus the trusted and distinctive content you love from NG Kids!
3. Far, far out at sea lives one of the world's most mysterious creatures, the loggerhead turtle. For thirty years she swims the oceans, wandering thousands of miles as she searches for food. Then, one summer night, she lands on a beach to lay her eggs — the very same beach where she herself was born. Nicola Davies's lyrical text offers fascinating information about the journey of the tiny, endangered loggerhead, while charming paintings by Jane Chapman vividly illustrate one turtle's odyssey.
4. Baby Turtle pokes his head out of his shell on hatching day and realized that he's a day late. All of his siblings have already headed into the ocean on their way to the reef. Alone, he races to catch up. On his way to the reef, he makes new friends, sees amazing sights and swims through one exciting adventure after another. Vibrant watercolor illustrations bring the action to life while the charming story captures readers' imaginations and teaches them about endangered sea turtles.
6. The book uses amazing pictures and carefully written words to teach children basic facts about six species of sea turtles.
The pictures provide a great look at sea turtles swimming in ocean waters and walking on beaches. They all look good in black and white and are excellent on the full color kindle. The description in text beneath the photos is simple enough for early readers or for a parent who wants to guide a child through the learning process.
Alternatively, a child of any age (even the child in you) can just look at the beautiful images of these magnificent sea turtles and appreciate their natural beauty as they swim through the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Ocean waters.
7. Grade 2-4-These books open with a description of the animal or insect, followed by a discussion of the meaning of the term "life cycle." Then, life stages are highlighted and clearly explained scientifically. How humans are adversely affecting the creatures' lives and what students can do about it are also discussed. An abundance of clear, colorful, attractively bordered photographs and illustrations enhance the fact-filled texts. These well-written titles will be used for research and pleasure reading.
8. Animal books for kids can be one of the best ways to teach children of all ages about the many creatures that call our planet home. In this fully illustrated book, five time best selling children's book author Mark Smith shows us how the sea turtle has to struggle to survive. Life is precious and this book illustrates this point perfectly. Things don't always come easy for sea turtles, but there is a happy ending.
Your children will love the full color photographs that spring to life on every model of the Kindle.