You may remember Brenda’s guest post last month. Well, she has also allowed me to be a part of her monthly Quick and Healthy recipe journalist newsletter. What does that mean for you? It means each month I will be able to bring you a NEW recipe and tip from Brenda’s Quick & Healthy book and/or website!
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, not drained*
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen okra or 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups fat-free chicken or beef broth*
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 drop Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound seafood such as firm fish fillets, scallops, and/or shelled and deveined shrimp
- In a medium saucepan, mix vegetables, broth, and seasonings. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water in a covered container and shake well to prevent lumps. Add to simmering vegetables and cook until bubbly.
- Add seafood and continue to cook until seafood is done.
- *Sodium is figured for no added salt/reduced sodium.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g
Source: Quick and Healthy Volume II, 2nd Edition, © 2009 Brenda J. Ponichtera, R.D, Published by Small Steps Press, publishing health conscious books for the general population, a division of the American Diabetes Association; retail $18.95;
Quick & Healthy Tip of the Month
by cookbook author Brenda J. Ponichtera, RD
As rainy weather sets in, don’t abandon your exercise program. A water-proof jacket with a hood will keep you going on rainy days. But if you are really a fair weather walker, and won’t venture out on cold or rainy days, it is time to start walking in malls or join a health club. Don’t abandon your exercise as it good for your health, both physical and mental health.
This healthy tip is provided by Quick & Healthy cookbook author, © Brenda J. Ponichtera, RD, ScaleDown Publishing, Inc.; email@example.com; All rights reserved. Visit www.QuickandHealthy.net for more recipes, menus and healthy tips.