This fun Chinese Zodiac Placemat Printable is so much more than a simple placemat–there are several great ideas to use it and get the kids having a great time too!
If you’re just here for fun printables, though, be sure to check out my unicorn printables here so you can add a little encouragement to your wall art!
This Chinese Zodiac Placemat Printable really is super cute, though, right?! I mean, those little faces and the blobs–not circles. I don’t know, I kind of love it.
So, let’s dive in to what this free printable is!
What are the Zodiac Animal Signs?
Each year is assigned an animal which embodies the “spirit” of the people born in that year. Here are the signs and the years designated for each:
- Year of the Pig was last year. That’s for 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019. So, that was the year of LUCK!
- This year is the Year of the Rat, and those people born in 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008, and 2020 are of the “year of the rat.”
- Next year is the Year of the Ox is 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009, 2021.
- The Year of the Tiger is 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010, 2022.
- The Year of the Rabbit is 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011, 2023.
- The Year of the Dragon is 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012, and 2024.
- The Year of the Snake is 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013, and 2025.
- The Year of the Horse is 1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002, 2014, and 2026.
- The Year of the Goat is 1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003, 2015, 2027.
- The Year of the Monkey is 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016, and 2028.
- The Year of the Rooster is 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005, 2017, and 2029.
- The Year of the Dog is 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, 2018, and 2030… 2018 is classed as an Earth Dog year!
What this Chinese Zodiac Placemat Printable includes:
There are two versions of this printable Chinese New Year Zodiac Printable Placemat: a color version and one that’s a black and white coloring sheet for the older kids to decorate themselves.
So, in addition to this being a handy-dandy placemat to keep from being a Messy Marvin, it can also be an activity to keep the kids from being so bored you need a screen to keep them from whining!
Fun ways to use this printable:
Sometimes, you see a printable and you’re like: “oh that’s cool, but what do I do with it?!” And I honestly have a ton of printables on a hard drive sitting there, never used, because they’re basically purpose-less.
That is not the case for this awesome free printable Chinese zodiac placemat.
I’m calling it a placemat, but honestly, there’s so much more fun to be had.
Restaurant Screen-Free Activity
Look, I love eating out sometimes as a treat, but my least favorite part is that the kids whine constantly. IT’s what inspired me to make this awesome placemat–give them something fun to color and we’re in business!
The boys and I were talking about making a set of laminated placemats to have on Chinese food night! We could use them over and over!
Activity for a Party
If you’re having a Chinese New Years party, this is the perfect activity for the kids! Just hand them each a set of coloring pencils and a flat surface to color on.