When my husband and I first got married, I could cook, but the number of things I could cook were very limited. I wasn’t at the point yet where I would just throw things in a pot and know it would taste good. 🙂 However, I was also super busy – honestly, I think I was busier then than I am now. Getting dinner on the table was a chore that I just didn’t have time for.
Then, I discovered my deep freeze! I started making things that could be frozen and pulled out later! This make ahead ground beef recipe has been one of my go-to OAMC recipes! I only buy in bulk and I almost always have some pre-seasoned beef in my freezer. This super simple recipe has been a life-saver for over 15 years.
Ninety-percent of the time, when I make Tacos, Spaghetti, Chili, Sloppy Joes, or other things that call for ground hamburger meat, I have some ready to use without having to go through the cooking or chopping process!
Freezer Cooking Must Have Resources:
The following Amazon links are affiliate links.
Here’s what I do, it is actually very simple. I am writing this recipe with the assumption that you are buying a 6 pound package, but you can add or subtract as needed:
- 3 medium onions (I like to use one each of yellow, white, and purple onions)
- 6 lb 90% lean ground beef or 93% lean ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 each red, yellow, green bell-peppers
- Chop onions and/or press all veggies
- Brown hamburger meat, drain, and transfer to large bowl
- In pan or pot that you browned the meat (before cleaning it! you want the slight grease coating for this step) place chopped and pressed veggies for just a few minutes until the onions have a clear appearance
- Add back in the browned beef (or turkey), mix well. If you allow it to cook in the greased and heated pan for 2-3 minutes, it will cook those seasonings into the meat!
- Divide into 3 portions. You now have three, one-pound packages of make-ahead ground beef ready for a recipe that calls for ground beef.
- Flatten the air from your ziploc bags and stack in your freezer for a time-saver on your next meal. Be sure to write what it is and when you made it!
This is great for sloppy joes, chili, spaghetti, tacos, and more! Seriously, the options of things to make with ground beef are nearly unlimited! You can add it to just about any meal, but here are my favorite ground beef recipes: