Hi, guys! I am Chrissy from The Taylor House. I am so excited to be sharing a new weekly series with everyone here at Southern Mom Cooks. I have two boys in elementary who love to take their lunch from home instead of eating at school so we will be sharing a weekly lunch idea with you.
There are a lot of days in the school year and if you are anything like me, you start to run out of creative or different ideas for your kids school lunch. There’s only so many times they want to eat peanut butter and jelly. Am I right? This new Bento Lunch Recipe series will help you find new ideas, themes and recipes to help you spice up your kids lunch box.
Today I have a Cinco De Mayo Bento Lunch Recipe idea to share with you. I thought a Cinco De Mayo themed meal would be a fun and unique lunch that my boys would love.
Cinco De Mayo Bento Lunch Recipe Instructions:
How fun is this Cinco De Mayo Lunch? We made Sombrero Cookies, Maracas and a Sunny Face Sandwich for the kids to enjoy!
- Step One – Make your Cinco De Mayo Maracas by using grapes and pretzel sticks. Simply stick one grape into the end of each pretzel to create a Maraca looking treat.
- Step Two – Next, make your Sunshine Face Sandwich by cutting your bread in the shape of a circle. I cut my meat and cheese with a flower shaped cookie cutter to give it the look of a sun. I used a Foodwriter Pen and drew a face on the sandwich and added a little drink umbrella for fun!
- Step Three – Finally, make your Sombrero Cookie using an Oreo, Gum drop candy, frosting and sprinkles. Fill a small sandwich bag with a frosting of your choice, use a small amount around the edges and in the center of the Oreo cookie. Sprinkle on your sprinkles and place the gum drop in the center of the cookie.
This Cinco De Mayo lunch is both fun to eat and festive. You can use a few simple ingredients to make something unique and delicious that your kids will love.
All of the materials used to make this Cinco De Mayo lunch can be found at a local grocery store or even Walmart.
- Gum Drops
- Lunch Meat
- Foodwriter Pen
- Cookie Cutters
- My boys loved this this new lunch that I created using a few simple ingredients and using them in a different and unique way. They thought it was fun to eat and tasted delicious too.
- After school, my little guy came home and told me that he had decided the sandwich in his Cinco De Mayo lunch should be called a “Sunwich”. I thought that was pretty clever and cute for a first grader!
Cinco De Mayo Resources:
Here are a couple more Cinco De Mayo recipes and bento lunch recipes that you may enjoy.
- Frito Pie Recipe
- Cinco De Mayo Beef and Salsa Casserole
- Chicken Nacho Recipe
- Another Cinco De Mayo Lunch Idea
I hope you have enjoyed this fun and creative lunch idea we have shared with you. Be sure to check back every week for new and inspiring options to make for your kids at home or to send with them for school lunch.
About the Author:
Chrissy Taylor is a wife, Mom, blogger and property manager. She and her husband of 15 years are raising two active boys in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. Chrissy enjoys blogging about recipes, crafts, gifts and household tips. You can connect with her at The Taylor House, Facebook or Twitter.