Hi, everyone! This is Chrissy from The Taylor House! I am excited to be here again this week sharing a Bento Lunch Recipe with you at Southern Mom Cooks. I have two boys in elementary who love to take their lunch from home instead of eating at school so we will be sharing a weekly lunch idea with you to make a fun new lunch.
The school year is coming to an end and it would be so easy to just have my kids eat at school or throw together a PB&J sandwich with chips but instead I am getting creative and making the last days in the school year extra fun with their lunch. Lets be honest, we all need a few more ideas when it comes to school lunch planning. Be sure to check in with Southern Mom Cooks every week to find a new idea.
It’s finally spring where I am at in Minnesota and that put me in the mood to make a Spring Butterfly Lunch for my kids.
Butterfly Bento Lunch Recipe Instructions:
Making this Spring Butterfly lunch is really easy and turned out as a fun and delicious option for my kids school lunch.
- Step One – Create your butterfly sandwich by using a hamburger bun and cutting it in half. Next, cut your slice of cheese in half to make the wings appear pretty. I used carrot sticks for the body of the butterfly but you could use a cheese stick, pretzels, etc.
- Step Two – Next, you want to make your Butterfly Pasta Salad. I used a mini bow tie pasta and made them according to the package directions. I threw in about a half cup of green peas and some shredded cheese as well.
- Step Three – I made a cute little Butterfly using a baggie, grapes, clothes pin, pipe cleaner and google eyes as well. This turned out really cute and was so easy to make. Place your grapes in a sandwich baggie and place a clothes pin in the center of the bag. Next, glue a pipe cleaner on the back to create the antennas and glue eyes on the front of the clothes pin.
To make this lunch is very simple and uses products that I normally have on hand.
- Hamburger Bun
- Carrot Sticks
- Bow Tie Pasta
- Clothes Pin
- Pipe Cleaner
- Google Eyes
My son loved this Butterfly Bento Lunch Recipe and asked if he could have a butterfly in his lunch everyday. He even ate all his peas since I told him it was a Butterfly Pasta Salad. Score!!
Butterfly idea Resources:
Here are a few more Butterfly and Bento Lunch Recipe Ideas
- Cinco De Mayo Bento Lunch Recipe
- Butterfly Cupcakes
- B Is For Butterfly: Letter of the Week Preschool Craft
- Bento School Lunch: Garden Snack
I hope you have enjoyed this fun and creative lunch idea we have shared with you. Be sure to check back every week for new and inspiring options to make for your kids at home or to send with them for school lunch.
About the Author:
Chrissy Taylor is a wife, Mom, blogger and property manager. She and her husband of 15 years are raising two active boys in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. Chrissy enjoys blogging about recipes, crafts, gifts and household tips.
You can connect with her at
Saturday 18th of May 2013
Hey there! Thanks so much for visiting our blog and linking up such an awesome project! Have a great week!
Monday 13th of May 2013
Wow! Even the pasta has wings! What a cute lunch!
Friday 17th of May 2013
Didn't Chrissy do an absolutely adorable job? I am so glad to have her here!
Saturday 11th of May 2013
Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a very special Mothers Day Weekend and come back soon! Miz Helen
Crystal & Co
Friday 3rd of May 2013
What a fun lunch idea! Love this.