Are you looking for a great family destination? Summer means time for vacation, fun memories, and food experiences of course!
Take an Alabama Road Trip! Did you know that Alabama has some of the greatest white beaches, amazing barbeque, and that southern hospitality that you really can’t find anywhere else?
To put it simply, Alabama is a true destination for southern value that is why we all share in the term Sweet Home Alabama.
Make certain to check out our Kid Friendly Things to do in the United States!
(Photo Courtesy of Alabama.Travel)
I know you’re probably thinking, “What could possibly be in Alabama that everyone in my family will love?”
Well, believe it not, there are some of the coolest places to visit including vast history and even some claims to fame.
I personally live on the Alabama Gulf Coast and never get tired of the beaches here, they are the whitest in the world!
At Christmas, we visit Bellingrath Gardens for an amazing light display. Alabama is home to the NASA Space Center, USS Alabama, the birthplace of Mardi Gras in Mobile, Bay Fest, Annual Chili Cook-Off, and the Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo just to name a few!
We even have some super famous folks from here including Jimmy Buffet and Forrest Gump (Well, Bubba 🙂 Actually, the writer of Forrest Gump, Winston Groom, is from Bayou La Batre.
Alabama is an awesome destination for families with a little bit of something for everyone.
With a long list of premiere destinations, historical landmarks, BBQ traditions, and BBQ masters in a way that reveals the rich flavors of Alabama BBQ why would your family destination be anywhere else?
(Photo courtesy of Alabama.Travel)
Check out these fun and interesting facts about Alabama:
- The Alabama Tourism Department is proud to declare 2015 as “The Year of Alabama BBQ”. In light of the popularity of BBQ and Alabama’s reputation, we’re declaring that the BBQ in our state is not only among the best in the US, but is THE best.
- Alabama has an existing and solid reputation as a food destination
- Our state’s BBQ restaurants and traditions are consistently featured as some of the best in the US and in national media publications
- Our BBQ Bracket has been one of the most popular social media and online events for the Alabama Tourism Department for the past several years
- Alabama was named as the “Most BBQ Crazed State in the US” in 2014, according to Estately.com
- The stories of the men and women who prepare BBQ – the “BBQ Masters”, as we’re calling them – are just as rich, complex and diverse as the flavors themselves
Top 5 Places to Visit in Alabama
1. Go to Orange Beach with miles and miles of white sandy beaches with lots of options for deep sea fishing and just minutes from the largest Outlet Center around!!
2. Mobile is an amazing scenery full of food, fun, and history.
3. Visit Montgomery, the Capital, with its lush historical surroundings.
4. Birmingham has a long list of activities, a lush atmosphere, and top-notch restaurants.
5. Gulf Shores is a true highlight of the state with turquoise water, sugar, sandy beaches, and a relaxing atmosphere.
Alabama also has its own travel destinations and apps to help you highlight what peaks your interest! Your family can walk through the historical footsteps of the Civil Rights Landmarks using this FREE Alabama Civil Rights Trail App.
Discover the authentic flavors of over 100 Alabama dishes that is a true culinary adventure.
Use this app to ride along the Alabama BBQ Trail and uncover the story behind each plate!
Or simply plan an Alabama road trip that suits your family!
Learn all about the southern roots of Alabama food with a quick peek at I Love Alabama Food. This is an amazing website packed with so many options, chef reviews, and your family can taste your way through your road trip!
Be sure to check out this Alabama Visitors’ Guide before heading out!
Where is your family headed for vacation? Hit the road this summer and take a visit to the south and enjoy a friendly, laid-back environment full of history, family fun, beautiful beaches, amazing food, and an abundance of southern charm!
Kimberly H. Smith
Thursday 13th of August 2015
Kelli, I am a Louisiana native and have lived here most of my life. As a kid, my family and I visited the USS Alabama on a road trip to Florida. I have been to Gulf Shores and just went to Orange Beach last summer. Yes, the beaches there are gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing this on Traffic Jam Weekend Linky Party!
Friday 14th of August 2015
Alabama really is a pretty little state, isn't it? Thanks for visiting!
Kristina & Millie
Tuesday 4th of August 2015
ohhh how fun :) we pass through there quickly on our way to my old home in Louisiana but other than possibly making a food stop, we are usually in such a hurry we miss all the sites. Now I know what I am missing, we will take our time to explore on our next trip! Thanks for sharing the fun with Snickerdoodle!
Saturday 1st of August 2015
Oh wow. Alabama sounds amazing and those white beaches look like they could be a desert island somewhere. I want to visit! Thanks for linking up to #featurefridays